Always

A/N Based on Colby's video Secretly Staying Overnight in Best Friends Apartment.

Colby had done it. With the help of a few friends, he had managed to sneak into Sam's closet during pizza night without him knowing and now he was gonna spend the whole night in Sam's apartment. What he didn't know, however, was that some silly video he had randomly decided to do, would instead lead him to saving his best friend's life.

After Colby's phone died, and he realized he didn't grab a charger; he ate a snack and went to bed. The closet he had chosen was a tight squeeze so it wasn't very comfortable, but he had to make do for the video. He made sure to put the camera on the charger for the night since the battery was almost dead, and would film tomorrow morning when he woke up.

Colby had only been asleep 30 minutes when he heard rustling outside the closet door. He figured it was just Sam. Wondering what his best friend was doing up, he slowly opened the door and peeked through the crack. Colby gasped quietly, not expecting to see a man in a ski mask rummaging quietly through Sam's things. The burglar had his back towards the closet, and Colby could see the gun hitched on the side of his belt. Colby was at a crossroad. He couldn't warn Sam, and he couldn't call the cops with a dead phone. He watched the burglar rummage through the kitchen and then switch to Sam's living room. He then watched him walk towards the spiral staircase in Sam's apartment.

"Yes!" thought Colby.

If the guy went upstairs, Colby could make a plan, find a weapon, anything. Leaving wasn't an option! Not with his best friend in the other room. The burglar stopped and instead turned towards the bedrooms. Colby finally pounced when the man started making his way towards Sam's room. Colby leaped onto the guy's back, who attempted to throw him off. He knocked Colby against the wall and he finally lost his hold.

Colby stood up and lunged at the man, who punched him square in the face. Colby whipped around, spit out some blood and punched the man back. The two of them wrestled with each other. Colby kneed him in the groin and he stumbled back, growling angrily and grabbing Colby forcefully by the neck and pinning him against the wall. Colby attempted to pry the strong hands from his neck, when suddenly, he heard a door open. Sam's door.

When Sam emerged to see what all the noise was, he was stunned to see a burglar with his hand around Colby's throat.

"Colby!!" shouted Sam. " What the hell??!!"

" Sam!" choked Colby. " Get back in the room. Lock the door and call the cops!"

Colby saw Sam take a step forward to help him. "Sam don't!!!" he shouted.

Sam stopped immediately in his tracks as the burglar pointed the gun in his direction. Colby used his foot to force the burglar's hand down as a bullet struck the floor.

" Now Sam!" shouted Colby.

Sam reluctantly retreated back into his room. The burglar dropped Colby and headed for Sam's bedroom door. Sam had just enough time to close and lock it before the burglar reached him. He tried the knob and then rammed himself into the door, attempting to break it down. Colby groggily stood up and threw himself at the burglar, pushing past him. He was now the only thing between the burglar and Sam.

" You're not getting past me," said Colby, his eyes dark. " Not a chance!!"

Colby grabbed the man by the shoulders and threw him into the counter, away from Sam's door. He grabbed the burglar by his jacket and spun him around to face him, he delivered several punches to his face. The burglar then grabbed Colby by the hair and slammed his head off of the counter. Colby slid to the ground, his vision blurred and blood seeping from his head. He heard the click of a gun and saw the blurry silhouette of the burglar's arm extended in front of him. Colby braced for the pain, but it never came. As Colby's vision began to clear, he saw Sam in front of him, a baseball bat in his hand, and the burglar unconscious on the floor of Sam's apartment. Sam set down the bat and quickly rushed to Colby's side, bending down and placing a hand on Colby's shoulder.

" Colby?" asked Sam. " Colby, can you hear me?!"

" Dude," said Colby. " Quit yelling. Yes, I can hear you."

" God dangit Colby," cried Sam, bringing Colby into a hug. The brunette returned the hug happily as Sam helped him up.

A few minutes later they heard pounding on Sam's door and opened up to several cops rushing in, guns blazing. They saw the burglar on the ground, they looked from him to Colby, who immediately was sent to a medic. Several officers marched the barely conscious man out of Sam's apartment, explaining that he had been wanted for Breaking and Entering, as well as assault.

" How did you know he was here?" asked Sam.

" Oh, right," said Colby. "I was in your closet."

" You-? Why?" asked Sam.

" I was filming a video," explained Colby. " Trying to stay over at your place without you knowing."

Sam laughed. " Good thing you did, if you hadn't been here...?" Sam didn't even want to think about that.

" You could've taken him," said Colby.

" Before or after he shot me in my sleep?" laughed Sam. Colby gave him a small smile.

" Still," said Sam. " Thank you."

" I'll always protect you," said Colby. " You know that."

" Maybe next time, let me protect you for once," said Sam. " I don't know how many more times I can watch you nearly die, or take a beating." He glanced at all the bandages on Colby's face.

" For you, always!" said Colby.

Sam smiled and shook his head. He helped Colby gather his things from the closet and move them to Sam's couch. Colby was definitely going to stay! More comfortably this time. Colby layed there, thinking. Sometimes, fate works in mysterious ways. Some people are just put in the right place, at the right time, and Colby was certainly thankful that he had been.