Riled Up

Yes, I did a one shot about hockey. I'm Canadian, sue me. 😂

The Blue Valley Tigers were up by 2 as the time ticked away. There was 1:14 left in the third period of what had been a very intense hockey game. Blue Valley was currently the top team in the Round Robin phase of playoffs after a great regular season thanks to the teamwork of their defensive line consisting of juniors Sam Golbach and Colby Brock. Not only were they line mates, but they were also best friends, and their brotherhood was evident on and off the ice.

As the time ticked away, the sound of the crowd cheering coursed through the arena. Winning on home ice was truly one of the best feelings in the world. Sam and Colby listened as the last minute of play was announced. When the final buzzer sounded, the whole team gathered on the ice in celebration. They quickly shook hands with their opponents before returning to their dressing room. Once Sam and Colby were changed, they exited the locker room together, both of them talking as they walked towards the back doors of the arena.

" Hey Brock, Golbach, got a second?" someone asked.

Sam and Colby turned to face Jacob Wright, a senior that played on the team of their rival school, Turner High. Several of the teams currently in the playoffs would often come to other teams' games to scope out the competition.

" What do you want, Jacob?" asked Sam.

" Just wanted to say, great game out there," said Jacob. " Your team is not bad. Of course they haven't played us yet."

" What's your point?" asked Colby.

" My point is that Turner High has been the reigning champion 2 years in a row," said Jacob.

" Well, that's nice," said Sam, annoyed. Both he and Colby turned to continue on their way when Jacob yelled after them.

" I plan on making it 3," Jacob yelled.

Colby stopped in his tracks. " Sounds almost as if you're afraid to play us," laughed Colby.

" You wish," said Jacob. " I'll see you losers on the ice tomorrow." Jacob walked back to join the rest of his team.

" What a jerk," said Sam.

" Ignore him," said Colby. " We'll settle it on the ice."

The next day, both teams were currently warming up on their respective sides of the rink. Colby looked over and watched the opposing team's warmup, not at all intimidated by them, even though he knew that's what they were trying to do. Suddenly, one of the Turner High players met Colby at the center line.

" What's good brother," said Nate. He was a childhood friend of Sam and Colby's. Sam skated next to Colby to talk to Nate as well.

" Long time no see, how have you been, man?" asked Colby.

" You know, same old, same old," laughed Nate. " How about you guys, anything new?"

" We're moving to LA this summer," said Sam.

" No way, that's so sick," said Nate. " We should hang before you guys leave."

" Definitely, we could go to the warehouse, you remember?" asked Colby.

" Oh, how could I forget the warehouse?" laughed Nate. They were suddenly interrupted.

" Hardy, what the fuck are you doing?" asked Jacob. " Get over here."

" I should get going, but good luck guys," said Nate.

" You too," said Sam.

Once warmup was over, everyone waited in anticipation for the game to start. Right off the bat Blue Valley scored and minutes later, Turner High put themselves on the board. It was back and forth like that all night. The game was tied 4-4 going into the 3rd period and neither team felt like playing overtime. One of them needed to win.