The Answer

Last story of 2023. Sorry this one took so long, but I promise it was worth the wait. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! Enjoy!

-JaiMcC

Colby's eyes quickly shot open as he heard a knocking on the door of his motel room. Colby stirred and looked at the clock. It was 3am. The person knocked harder and Colby slowly got out of the bed, he quickly grabbed his demon knife sitting on the bedside table. He was smart to have left it in his car.

Colby swung the door open and was confused when there was no one standing on the other side. He shut the door and that's when the lights in his room started to flicker. He watched them as they flickered out of control and then stopped. Colby looked around, his demon knife in hand, ready to charge.

" Colby?" said Sam.

Colby turned around when he heard the terrified voice of his best friend. Colby's eyes went wide as an all black entity, with a wide grin and dead eyes stood in front of him, holding Sam in the air. Colby could see the tears streaming down Sam's face. Colby stood in shock as the entity's appearance changed into himself. Colby panicked as he watched the scene in front of him play out. He watched himself take out a dagger and plunge it through Sam's chest. He coughed up blood and Colby let him drop to the floor.

" NOOOOO!" shouted Colby.

The entity turned to face Colby and smiled evilly at him before flying towards him. The sensation suddenly woke him up. Colby was sweating and panting heavily. He frantically looked around his motel room. He had been dreaming.

Once Colby calmed down, he settled back into his pillow and slowed his breathing. This was one of the many nightmares he had been having the past few weeks since he left Sam. He assumed it was one of the side effects of the transfusion, or maybe because he and Sam weren't together, it was affecting him differently. He didn't know, but what he did know was that he couldn't go back to Sam. He wouldn't.

Colby had definitely been cooped up in this motel too long, he needed to get out, but he needed to wait until it was safe. Colby was running low on supplies and clothing. He had considered going back to the house, but was it too risky?

It was a long drive but Colby stopped a little down the road from their house in Vegas. Colby threw his hood up and quickly scaled the fence around their house, like he had done many times before. Luckily, the window to his room wasn't super high and he could climb up there. He knew he had left his window open, and knew Sam wouldn't have thought to close it. He could grab everything he needed quickly and be in and out. Colby carefully and quietly slid the windowpane up, and climbed in through the window. He stepped down onto the ground and turned around, then stopped. He had not been expecting to see Sam in his room, sleeping in his bed.

Colby looked at him lovingly as he slept peacefully in the bed. His phone was still buzzing on the bed beside him. He had clearly been doing some research. Colby was happy that Sam was a heavy sleeper. He quietly filled one of his backpacks with clothes and other supplies and then made his way back to the window, but not before putting his fuzzy gray blanket over Sam before he left. Colby looked over at Sam one last time before carefully making his way back out the window.

Colby sat alone in the booth of a small diner. He was scrolling through Twitter on the burner phone he had purchased a few weeks ago. He stopped to admire the recent tweet from Sam.

" I love Colby Brock!" it read.

Colby looked at it and smiled. He tapped on the little talk bubble next to Sam's name and had considered sending him a message but decided against it. He was interrupted when the waitress came over.