A Price Paid

***Republish cause I completely forgot to warn my new followers to make sure they've read in Part 1 A Lesson Learned and in Part 3 Nothing Without You of Protective Colby. Older followers will know! Thanks! Enjoy! -JM***

Sam and Colby stepped out of Sam's Tesla.They had just gotten back from an XPLR photoshoot.

"Dude, I'm telling you, this is about to be our best merch drop yet," said Colby excitedly.

"Are we gonna tell the XPLR Club first?" asked Sam.

"I think we should," said Colby, as he stepped onto the porch of their LA home. He looked down as his foot accidentally hit a small package contained in one of those yellow envelopes.

"Huh? What's this?" asked Colby.

" Looks like a package to me," said Sam, unlocking the front door.

" Yea, I can see that ya piece of garbage," laughed Colby. He turned it over in his hands.  "It's addressed to me."

"Who's it from?" asked Sam, as he opened the door and they stepped inside.

" It doesn't say," said Colby. "There's no return address. Maybe a fan?"

Colby tried not to trip as 3 dogs came running up to him when he stepped in the door. Kiwi, Koki and Foxy were having a playdate. Colby's parents had brought them for a surprise visit last time they had come to LA, and Sam and Colby had decided that they could stay for a while.

Colby's dogs were getting old and he wanted to spend as much time with them as possible. It was easier now that 3 of them were living in the house. Since Kat didn't travel as much, she was usually home to take care of them.

" Open it up and see," said Sam.

Colby followed Sam into the kitchen, he placed his keys on the island and slowly tore open the envelope as Sam looked through the fridge for something to eat. Inside the envelope was a note.

"From a friend :)" said the note.

Colby turned it over, and saw there was a phone number written on the back. He shook the envelope as he realized there was something else inside and he poured the contents into his hand.

"Sam..." said Colby. His voice was now serious.

"What's up?" asked Sam, as he looked over at Colby.

Sam's expression turned to panic as he looked at the thing in Colby's hand. Colby stared at it. Then, Colby slowly held up a blue flash drive, looking at it worriedly, and then shot his gaze back to Sam.

Both of them said nothing. They immediately dropped everything and raced to Sam's laptop on the couch in their living room. Colby opened it up and plugged in the flashdrive. There was only one file on the flashdrive. A file titled: COLEBABY <3.

Sam and Colby looked at each other in panic. Colby hesitantly clicked on the file and a video popped up. He hit play. There was a feed in a dark room. They heard an all too familiar chuckle as the video started.

"Hello Colby, did you miss me?" asked Clayborn.

Colby watched the video intently. Sam couldn't tell what the expression on his face was. Sam and Colby heard a muffling sound in the background.

"Oh, where are my manners," said Clayborn. "I forgot to introduce my party guests."

He brought the camera to show Colby's family. They were all tied up and gagged.

"Look at the nice big happy family," said Clayborn.

He panned to the face of Layne Brock, Colby's father. He was gagged and his head was full of blood.