Prologue

Story Playlist: 

"She" by Dodie
"Lost" by Jai Wolf feat. Chelsea Jade
"Home" by Bruno Major
"Wait for You" by Dayo Bello

_________________

Bailey's POV:

"You ready for this?" Skylar asked from the driver's seat, her right hand on the wheel and her left fixing the black beanie on her head, "I don't know, I'm nervous for this what happens when we get caught?" I turn my head seeing her face only when the street light shines down, it's 10 pm and I should be home. My curfew is at 9 but I'm out in Sage's car with Skylar driving to who knows where. But I don't think my parents care where I am right now, they probably think I'm robbing a bank or harassing old people but I guess what I'm doing is in between both of those theories.

"We're not going to get caught, but that's if you don't want to get caught. Sometimes it's fun you know the thrill of being chased. You could use some of that." She snickers making me raise an eyebrow, "What's that supposed to mean?" I ask keeping my eyes on her, "Well from what you told me that you haven't even done anything remotely bad like cheating on a test or drawing on a desk then you could use something actually exciting instead of staying up past your bedtime." She laughs speeding faster down the road, "Hey now cheating is bad, doesn't matter what kind of cheating it is and that's what paper is for, you draw on paper, not your desk or a wall." I point out seeing Skylar roll her eyes.

"See this is why if you want to be like me then you need to let go of that mindset that not everything is supposed to be the way it is. If someone cheats then someone cheats, we all hate it but it happens, drawing on a wall or a desk yeah it's inconvenient but it's fun so try not thinking about getting caught, if we get caught then we get caught it's not good but we're gonna have fun." She holds her hand out in a fist and I bump my fist against hers. "HELL yeahhh!" She celebrates drumming her fingers on the steering wheel, scaring me a little. No no, don't be scared nothing is going to happen.

You can trust Skylar nothing has happened to you yet. The rest of the ride was silent, I couldn't even go on my phone because she told me to turn it off all the way so that if anyone called or texted, even if they saw where I was they couldn't. But I don't think it's how works but I didn't question it before she said something sexual. Although I don't mind it, I'm just waiting for her to do something about me disobeying her. Wait what no, don't think that.

"Alright now we gotta walk." The car comes to a stop within the corner of a neighborhood. I looked around but couldn't see a single thing there's no street lights around. "Where are we and why do we have to walk?" I ask her but she doesn't answer me instead she reached towards the backseat and pulling her backpack to her lap as things rattle against each other. It sounded like cans.

"We're gonna do your first bad thing, well bad to you normal to me and you don't wanna get fucking caught right so we're gonna walk the rest of the way now come on." She hops out taking the keys out of the ignition and she closed the door leaving me in the car. I look around again seeing only darkness feeling likes it's creepy up on me, I quickly hopped out running in front of Skylar, "You're not afraid of the dark are you?" She stares at me locking the car and I shook my head, "You know you can speak right?" She continues to stare and I nod keeping my lips shut tight.

"Whatever let's go you promised me chocolate chip cookies if I took you out to do something that I do so let's go." She starts walking away and I follow her, after I told her I bake a lot she started naming different types of bread, cakes, cupcakes, pastries, just deserts in general which was very cute to me, and the last thing she said was chocolate chip cookies because those were her favorite. Apparently Sage made them for her when she was growing up but his job keeps him from doing those kinds of things so she hasn't any at all even store-bought ones because I quote 'Chocolate chip cookies from the store taste like shit. Fucking bakers from the groceries can't back for their fucking life.' I think that was the most I've ever heard her cuss but I'm sure she was holding herself back from saying any more.

I kept my head down trying to find any lucky pennies, nickels, dimes, or quarters on the ground I don't believe in the 'tails is bad luck and heads in good luck' superstition, money is money and money is what I need. I bumped into the back of Skylar and I look straight at her black hoodie, "Hey!" I covered my mouth realizing how loud that was. She looks over her shoulder laughing at me, she drops her backpack then opening it letting paint cans fall onto the grass right next to the pavement.

"What are we painting?" I ask stepping over to look closer, "We're going to make that side of the building beautiful with a face." She picks up a can shaking it and I look at the building that looks very familiar, "What's the building? It looks like the public library." I point out and she smiles at me, "You're right it is the public library, the government one, of course, I didn't pick a small business-owned library because I'd feel like you'd kill me so the government one it is." She hands me the can that was in her hand I look at the label, "Isn't this illegal, it's vandalism." I say trying to hand it back but she denied it.

"It's only illegal if we get caught and yes you can call it vandalism but let's call it re-designing hmm." She grabbed another one and I followed her towards the large wall, she started with an outline of a face, that's well done for it being really dark besides a small light that's hanging on the wall shining down on us.

Skylar's POV:

"Okay the right half is yours and the left is mine, go crazy you know. I have seven other cans and that should fit the both of us but go on." I point at the line I sprayed then at the cans in the middle of us, I ended up putting them back in my bag cause she's right, what if we get caught. I kind of doubt it though, "Anything?" She turns to me and I nod, "Wait put this on, sometimes these cans have a nasty ass smell." I reached into my backpack pulling out a subtle gas mask, I only have one so she's going to get it. I don't need her inhaling all of that toxic shit, I'll be fine I've been around this stuff a lot since spray painting is something I love to do.

She smiles putting it on, "Do I mook goob." I just hear her muffle through the mask and I give her thumbs up watching her put the color on the wall, I started my piece, switching through the cans. Lots of reds and oranges creating flame-like patterns around the outline of the eye and lips. More blues and whites for the eyes while the lips being black, I glance over at Bailey's piece seeing the block pattern filled with bright colors outlined in white. "Can you help me? I can't reach." She points towards the forehead of the face, I crouched to the ground and patted my shoulders.

"Oh, are you sure? I'm not light like a feather, I might break your back or your shoulders." She shakes her hand and I roll my eyes, "Just get on will you." I blink and I hear her physically gulp, "I'm sorry if I'm heavy for you." She steps over me and I held onto her bare kneecaps standing up slowly, "You're not heavy for me, it just sucks because my head is faced the wrong way." I smirk but then something fell on top of my head, I looked down seeing the spray can cap.

"Hey, no that's wrong." She pats my head, "Pfft please that's nothing I could say so much more dirty jokes." I admit. I blame my brother he's always saying something dirty comparing everything to sex because he thinks it's the funniest thing on earth. Like sister like brother. She didn't respond at all focusing on her art, I eventually put her down and we both look out at our pieces. "Yours is very you." I comment and she looks at me confused, "It just screams Beans, the lines are straight and the boxes are equal representing how you like things organized and you strive for perfection and it's colorful, you're fruity and quite bubbly." I stuff my hands in my hoodie pocket seeing her slowly nod her head. Suddenly a pair of headlights come our way illuminating our bodies, I squint my eyes seeing the cop lights.

*DON"T MOVE STAY WHERE YOU ARE!* A voice booms through the speakers, I quickly grab my backpack, "Come on we have to run." I say looking back at Bailey seeing her hands go up in surrender. Oh my God, she's not going to get arrested.

"Bailey. Now." I took her wrist pulling her out of whatever trans she was in. "We're going to get caught aren't we?" She asks following quickly still with her hand in mine, I'm holding her tight that she won't be able to let go even if she wanted to. "FREEZE! STOP OR I'LL SHOOT!" The cop yells, fucking shit.