76. For Her

________________

Bailey's POV:

"Where do you think you're going?" I hear my mom say as I walk down the stairs with my bags, it probably would've been easier to drop them from my window but I didn't want anything to break so I just decided to bring them with me. "Skylar's hurt and I need to help her because she doesn't have anyone else right now," I tell her as she sits on the couch with dad and they both look at me.

I see Aunt Jacky over at the dining table and she just gives me a thumbs up but it doesn't help my case because I feel like the world is crumbling again around me with the stare that mom is giving me and the confidence that I had in getting this done has diminished.

"Why isn't there anyone else, what about her brother or cousin?" She asks, "I just want to be there for her." I tell them, placing my bags down by the front door and I stand in front of them. "If she's so badly hurt then I think she should be in the hospital." Dad pulls his reading glasses down.

"She doesn't need to go to the hospital she just needs some care that's it. I want to be there for her. So I'm going to stay with her." I swallow thickly, their eyes bounce between each other and me. "How long?" Mom asks, I didn't answer. I put my hands behind me and I start nipping at my fingertips.

"Bailey, how long will you be staying? Because by the look of your bags, it's like you're not coming back." She glances at my belongings then my dad stands up. "I'm staying with her." Is all I say and they stare. I think I can hear my heart beating, it can't be that loud, am I this nervous?

"I understand that but you do remember what I said, I don't want you staying with her." She says and my face falters. "Why? She needs help, she needs me." I can feel anger start to rise in me. "I don't want you staying with her Bailey! Listen to me when I say I don't want you with her! I've accepted you for who you are and at this point, I don't care that you like girls but the last girl I want you with is Skylar Morozan!" She slams a thick folder on the coffee table.

"What's that?" I ask but I know what it is, I know everything that's inside because I've already experienced some of it. "If you want to know then I suggest you stay." My dad says and that's when Aunt Jacky gets up, "I think she should just go, Skylar could be dying for all we know the longer we keep her here." She says and my heart drops.

"This doesn't involve you Jacky, this is between Bailey and Me." Mom doesn't bat an eye at her sister and my ad shakes his head, "Okay then Elayne, I love you Bailey but I'm not about to get my head ripped off. Come on Daniel." Aunt Jacky grabs my dad by the collar and I see them walk into the garage.

"Bailey, she isn't good for you." She hasn't seen much of Skylar and me but then again I don't tell her anything that we do, not like I can. "You don't know that mom," I tell her and she sits back down on the couch. "I do because I fell for someone like her, they were mysterious and good-looking. I was interested because they didn't have any interest in me. I was stupid in high school and I got hurt by them." She explains.

"How do you know they're like Skylar? She could be different than this person and even so, I want to do this for her, I love Skylar. I really do and I want to be with her and I can't do that with you and dad breathing down my neck about every little thing. She doesn't get mad when I make a mistake she doesn't get bothered if I do something wrong. She's proud of the things I've done and helps me push to do better." I explain threading my hands through my hair.

"She makes me feel alive and yeah we haven't been perfect and I know I'm definitely not prefect but she makes me feel like I am, I've seen her mad and she's risen her voice before, she's even made me cry but she makes up for it in ways I haven't imagined could be possible to show someone you love and I know she loves me." I finish wiping my eyes but my moms don't shed a tear.

"What about us, your dad, your aunt, me, what about your friends?" She ask, "Carmen is happy that I'm with Skylar and Tyler completely understands and Aunt Jacky even Carmen would rather have me run off with Skylar than stay and go to college." I throw my hands out.

The air is tense that makes it hard to breathe, the only thing her eyes do is pierce through me, I know she's not happy. It's the one emotion she shows that I know recognize like the covers of my books.

"You know what happens if you run. People will be after you, my power Bailey as a lawyer is very strong and you know that, so don't be surprised if something happens to you or to Skylar and her family. I don't want you- Bailey, come back here Bailey Elle Skeels!" I hear my mom yell for me as I charge for my bags and I open the front door.

"I'm going mom." I step out but I feel her tug my backpack. "Bailey, don't go please. Stay. Stay with me, dad and Jacky, stay with us. We love you Bailey, I love you." Her voice breaks and my throat stings.

It's been so long since I've heard that phrase from her, so so long. My hand drops the bags, they fall with a thud and I turn around hugging my mom, pressing my face into her body like how a little girl would when she was scared, something that I never did when I was younger.

"I love you too mom, I do but I can't stay. I'm sorry." I choke before squeezing her one more time. I grab my bags and  leave closing the door behind me, if I looked at her I probably would've walked back upstairs and unpack everything but I'm holding onto Skylar.

"We can go." I tell Marco after getting in the passenger seat. "You have everything?" He asks and I nod wiping my eyes. "I do, can we go now please?" I ask, he looks at me then he pulls me closer to him and he rubs my back but quickly let's go and starts driving.

"You hugged me?" I question and he clears his throat but it makes me smile. "Well you're clearly upset and hugs make people better so I've ready plus I'm not entirely heartless." He scoffs, "My wife insists that I whenever I come back I immediately spend ten minutes cuddling with her and I do, every night." He says almost like he's bragging.

"You're married?" I take a glance at his hands not seeing a wedding ring. "That's right, it's been five years with my love, June is her name. I know at first glance it looks like I'm not married because I don't have a ring but it's better not too because enemies can use your marriage as a way to get you so in the mafia we avoid rings." He explains.

"So how do people know that you two are together?" I ask, "People will assume, we do have rings but we turned the metal into something else. June turned her ring into earrings and I turned my ring into suit cuffs, that's why I'm always messing with my sleeves because I want to make sure I still have my ring." He air quotes.

"That's really cute and I think that's a great idea. How did you two meet?" I ask and a smile grows on his face. "We met through mutual friend but at first she actually hated me because that was the time where me and my friends took all the dangerous jobs and she hated that we'd put our lives on the line so easily." I wonder how old he is, can't be be that much older than Sage.

"I remember the night she spewed out what sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me but it actually her saying why she cared so much in a way that I didn't recognize and I hated when she had missions to do that included her getting all dressed up to lure in men to get info, she was good at it and I was jealous that these old low life men who had power got to see her like that. Was it right for me to get jealous like that, not really? But it made me realize that I loved her." He glances at me.

"That's June and me, we confessed our feelings on my birthday but we didn't get together till maybe a month after because we both had important jobs to do. So we waited and now it's been the best five years of my life." We both smile, "She sounds perfect for you." I comment and he lets out a relaxed sigh.

"I don't know anything more perfect than her. I'll introduce you to her, I know once I tell her about you she'd love to meet you." He says and I left it at that, there was nothing else to say and nothing could interrupt the comfortable silence we're in.