14. Be Nice

______________

Bailey's POV:

Saturday

I stood by the entrance of the mall in my white tennis skirt and my one size too big blue flannel waiting for both Carmen and Skylar to meet me here. I think I look very cute, looking at my reflection in the store window, how is this going to go? I have no idea, it's either they end up liking each other which is what I'm hoping for because Carmen is very protective and if she doesn't like Skylar then that means I won't be able to be as bad as I can be and if Skylar doesn't like Carmen then she would probably quit on me. I just hope that they don't hate each others guts. I'll just stay between them the entire time that way I can stop anything that could happen.

"BAILEY!!" I look up from my phone seeing Carmen run over to me trying to keep her purse over her shoulder and trying not to crease her new custom lavender and indigo Jordan's "CARMEN!" Our bodies collided and our arms wrapped around each other's bodies, although both of us are fruity, we've never had feelings for each other surprisingly, I always hear stories about best friends falling for each other. I guess we're not each other's type, romantically. "Oh I've missed you, now where's the serial killer, she could be on the hunt?" She cups her hands over her eyes looking around the parking lot.

"Carmen, she's not a serial killer you need to let that go and she'll be here soon. She texted me she's almost here anyway." I poke the girl's shoulder, "Hmm she probably got pulled over for being on her PHONE while riding her BIKE." She claps her hands, I hope she didn't get pulled over, "Actually I hope she gets pulled over that means we can have an 'Us' day, we haven't had one of those days in a long time." She hooks her arm in mine, of course, she says that. "I need you to have an open mind about her please, this is big for me and I need you two to get along just to the point that you two don't death glare each other because you have." I gave her my motherly stern making her roll her eyes.

"Fine. Fine, I'll play nice well somewhat nice only because you really really NEED this and it's something that I can't provide." She lays her head on my shoulder, "Thank you." I lay my head on hers, a few minutes go by and I recognize the sound of a loud engine. I pick my head up and I see Skylar park her bike, "Oh look she's here." I unhook my arm from Carmen's and I jog over to girl in a flannel similar to mine unbuttoned showing her toned torso and her bralette with khaki pants and black vans, it got really hot all of the sudden. Stupid global warming. "Sup Beans." She takes off her helmet running her hand through her hair.

"Hi Skylar, you look good." I compliment her and then wanted to kick myself for it. "Thank you and so do you." She looks at me up and down, if my face is red right now I'm going to jump in front of a car, "Thank you." I pick at the tips of my fingers again, "Where's you friend? The one that keeps running whenever I'm around." She looks around just like Carmen and I look over my shoulder seeing my best friend hawk eyeing me, "She doesn't run away from you." I say looking back and Skylar raises an eyebrow, "Yes she does, any time I get close to you she leaves and I haven't even done anything yet to piss her off." She gives me a sly smile, "She's just protective but just be nice, please?" I ask her glancing down at her bouncing leg, "Yeah sure I'll be nice." She gives in and I internally celebrate, this is going to go well.

I motioned Skylar to follow me and I watch her stand about a foot from Carmen, "Carmen this is Skylar as you've heard and Skylar this is my best friend Carmen." I introduce them and Skylar puts her hand out, "It's nice to meet you Bean's best friend." She says fidgeting with her other hand that's in her pocket, is Skylar nervous? "It's nice to meet you too Skylar, I've heard about you."  Carmen gives her a fake smile that I know Skylar doesn't know the difference. "Also 'Beans?" My best friend questions my nickname graciously given by Skylar, I think it's cute. "Yes, Beans it's her nickname, cute isn't it, I think it fits her very well." They drop their hands, "Mhm sure cute." I need Carmen to try a little harder.

"Uh okay let's go inside now, there's more to do." I let out a nervous laugh walking between them and Skylar immediately follows stepping to my right and Carmen steps to my left. I can already feel the tension. "Where should we go first, I kinda want to go to that Barne's and Noble but I want to save that for last so do you have anywhere to go?" I share a look between them, "I'll go wherever you go." Skylar shrugs glancing down at me, "Let's go to Victoria's Secret I heard their underwear is on sale." Carmen smirks at me then I look to my right, "Are you okay with that?" I ask the frizzy-haired girl, "Yeah and I can always just wait outside." She scratches the back of her neck, "What's wrong you can't handle a little lingerie?" Carmen provokes, "Oh please my gay ass can handle more than you." Skylar claims back.

SHE'S GAY! WE'RE ALL FRUIT BASKETS! I feel great right now, "So you're a part of the alphabet mafia too?" I question hoping not to make the rest of this talk awkward, "Yeah the alphabet mafia that's funny but yeah I've been out for maybe six years I knew pretty early that I had no interest in boys but I just didn't know that the feeling had a name." Skylar's opening up I like it. "How about you two?" She looks at Carmen and me, "I'm pan and no I don't fuck pans but I've been out since freshman year." Carmen points at Skylar, "Yeah I hope you didn't fuck pans, how about you." Skylar chuckles, "Uh I'm bi, I'm not out to my parents but I've been out only for a few months." I tell her.

It took me a very long time to accept that I had a liking to girls even though I'm still attracted to boys I just didn't know that me liking girls was a possibility that would be accepted by those around me, it was a scary time of my life. I remember praying to God late at night to make me 'normal' never have I cried so much in my life before. I really did try to deny it but nothing worked so I kept it hidden for a while a very long time and I even tried to convince myself that it wasn't true. It's okay though, I'm more open about it now just not to my parents. "That's okay, you'll get there." Skylar wraps her arms around my shoulders trying to hug me as we continue walking and I can feel daggers being sent to my head right now.

We eventually found the huge PINK store and Carmen bolted inside while Skylar and I were kind of hesitant, I don't usually shop here I'm more of a Ross and Target kind of shopper maybe if I were rich it would be easier, my parents are rich I'm not. "So are you going to go inside?" Skylar leans down and I turn my head seeing that our faces are incredibly close, oh fuck me. Wait not like that? "Bailey? Come on I need your expertise!" I feel myself get dragged into the store, "You know I have like ten percent of expertise on clothes like this." I remind the girl who pulled me in here. "Ten is better than zero now, what do you think about this?" She holds up a black lace matching set, "What do you think about Skylar?" I change the subject and her face drops.

"I don't fucking know, we met a few minutes ago you think I can know about someone in that amount of time, her style is interesting it's giving off biker girl mixed with uh risque." She puts the set back grabbing a different color, "That's literally what she's just wearing right now, I want your honest opinion too so maybe try talking to her a bit more." I suggest, "It's not that easy Bails I still hold my claim about her being a serial killer because serial killers are charming and good looking and will lure you in before killing you." She describes, "Technically she didn't lure me in, I'm the one that went to her. She's not a serial killer, she's a good listener and she's supportive of us, I mean she's in the alphabet mafia too." I chuckle at Carmen's past choice of words.

"Fine, I'll continue to be nice if you help me pick a set out." She holds up 3 different pairs of thongs, all 3 of them looking quite similar, "The dark red pair." I point to a cherry color pair, "Perfect now let's go because it's starting to get full." She links her arm in mine again and we head to the checkout.

Skylar's POV:

I look so fucking dumb just standing here outside of the store, at least I'm not surrounded by giant posters of women in lingerie, I should probably go inside but I'm going to look even more fucking dumb just aimlessly walking around without actually looking at anything because I'm trying to look for 2 people. "I'm sorry I couldn't help but notice that you've been starring into our store for a few minutes is there anything I can help you with?" A woman steps out of the store with a name tag. Fucking shit.