37. Always Skeptical

______________

Skylar's POV:

Finally, it's lunch, the best subject of the day. I saw Beans and Carmen in their usual spot and I slid onto the bench opposite the both of them. "Sup guys." I lean my head on my hands and Carmen looked at me and waves but Beans looks like she's about to pass out.

"Beans you okay?" I poke her hand and she shoots her head up making me jump back a little, "No, I'm not okay. The first part of my project in Mr. Bloom's is almost due and I read over it and realized that it makes absolutely no sense and if my perfect economy was real, everyone would've died, oh the lunch line is short I'm going to get food." She left without another breath.

"What the fuck did she just say?" I ask Carmen who seems to be okay with me after this morning. I don't know what they talked about but it seemed to make her like me more which I need although I still don't like her but I'm trying here.

"She's stressed that's all, she gets like that when it comes to the end of the year when it's finals and project season." She sighs, "She will be okay though, right?" I ask watching Beans slowly scoot down the line, "Oh yeah yeah she'll be fine but I know this project is stressing her out, plus all these other things." She shakes her head taking a sip from her sage green hydro flask with stickers.

How stressed is Beans? It can't be that bad right? What if she dies because of stress? That's a real thing, "What other things?" I ask quickly knowing that Beans is still in line. "Oh you know, stuff like prom, she keeps being asked about taking a date, possibly Tyler but honestly anyone but him and it's senior year so this huge then you know there's this stereotype of that you lose your first kiss in middle school and then you lose your virginity in high school and frankly Bailey hasn't had any action. But what about you? Are you as innocent as her?" Carmen talks as if none of this is important, all of it's important even the whole innocent thing.

"Well that stereotype is bullshit and she doesn't have to go with Tyler." I lean back crossing my arms, "Yeah I know but he does have a little thing for her, for a while and so it wouldn't be a surprise if he takes her but you still didn't answer my question." Fucking Tyler. "Well, he shouldn't take her." My leg starts bouncing, "Why? Are you going to prom?" She asks and I shake my head, "I don't dance." I simply say scouring the cafeteria keeping an eye out for an innocent-looking brown-haired boy.

"Right right okay but if you won't go then there's just a higher chance of you know her going with Tyler he's using her I guess I don't know but I know my Bailey's smart so she won't make that choice unless it's desperate but you still didn't answer my question." She leans on her forward like what I'm going to say is only made for her to hear. I'm not entirely innocent but she doesn't need to know that.

"Can't you just go with Beans? I'm sure it's fine if you two just go with friends and shit and I don't think you should know that information." I scoff, "You're right we can go together but I'm hoping to get asked by anyone. And you have point with not sharing with me but I thought you had a thing for Bailey, I know you two have already kept your ends of the deal so why are you still around?" She lifts her eyebrow leaning into her seat just in time as Beans get closer.

Why am I still around? This deal should've been over the night she came over. It should've been over. "Skylar, your leg is bouncing like crazy are you okay?" My attention gets brought back to the blonde with a plate of food in front of her. "Yeah I'm okay, you?" I ask her and she widens her eyes, "Yeah I'll be fine once I get food into my system and find a way to fix my project." She takes a bite of her sandwich while looking over her notes that I remember her taking.