66. Next Step

__________________

Skylar's POV:

"FUCK YEAH SKYLAR! YOU GET THAT DIPLOMA!" "GO SKY! FUCK YEAH WHOOOO!" I hear Sage and Dean cheer as I walk across the stage shaking hands with my past teachers and faculty, "Congratulations Skylar." Mr. Bloom shakes my hand with both of his hands.

"Thank you." I smile at him, "You're welcome go on." He nudges his head to the other end of the stage with the photographer and another student's name gets called, it wasn't Beans. "Take care of Bailey alright." I quickly turn around to see what he said because I didn't catch it but he was already shaking a student's hand.

I continue walking making it back to my seat looking around and I spot Bailey in another section with her diploma in her hand talking to someone. I feel myself start to feel hot, I have to talk to her after this, there's so much that we haven't talked about. Things I've done. Things she's done. Her aunt. Liliana. Her college news. Sage, Dean, and I's future plans. What we do.

There's so much and I don't know if she'll still want me, she can totally hate me after. Even more, than she does now. She can hate me, I understand, just one more talk will be enough for me. I can just move away if it does come to that, she won't have to see me again or even think of me.

"Now students, go off on your next adventure in life but don't forget where you started. Congratulations!" The principal claps and everyone tosses their hats into the air, the field is filled with cheers and cries, and everyone is crowding the field hugging their graduates and friends.

"SKYLAR WE DID IT!" "YOU DID IT!" I feel my body collapse on the ground with a heavy amount of bodies on top of me. I look up to see the twins with Dean and Sage, all of them right on top of me. "I can't fucking breathe." I wheeze trying to wiggle out of the pile. Suddenly I feel the air come back into my body and they help me stand up.

"Sorry, but look at us WE GRADUATED WE'RE OUT OF THIS HELL HOLE!" The twins yell running off somewhere leaving Sage, Dean, and me. "I'm proud of you Sky." Sage comes up and hugs me and I smile a little hugging him back. "This is such a cute moment." A camera flash hits my eyes and I catch a glimpse of Dean tearing up.

"You don't have to cry, Dean." I tell him, letting go of Sage and he chuckles as we watch Dean dry his eyes. "Hi, Skylar." All of us stood up straight after hearing the voice and I see Dean's eyes bounce from me to the voice that came behind me. Her voice.

I slowly turned around with Sage and I see her stand there in front of me with her parents looking at me angrily, Carmen who was smirking at me like she's planned something then a woman in a military uniform popped to their side. "Hi, Bean- I mean Bailey." I clear my throat feeling intimidated by the stare of her parents.

"So you're Skylar it's great to meet you, I'm Jacky. Bailey's aunt." The military woman hugs me surprisingly but I couldn't do anything with Bean's parents looking like they were trying to explode my head. Especially her mom. She's really trying to kill me. "Nice to meet you too ma'am, this is my brother Sage and my cousin Dean." I introduce Bean's aunt to my family but she still holds onto me.

"Take her away from here and talk to her, please." Aunt Jacky whispers into my ear before pulling away and shaking hands with Dean and Sage, I didn't question what she said or what to do, she looks like she could kill me. "Is it okay if I talk to Bailey privately?" I step closer to her and her parents, "Yes." "No." Her dad, mom, and Carmen all spoke at the same time.

I look at Beans as she turns to her parents, "Actually I'm going to fine my family, I'll see you guys later." She snaps her fingers before wandering off and I turn around not seeing Dean, Sage, or Bean's Aunt behind me. Oh no that leaves me with her parents, again.

"I'm going to see what Skylar has to say, we'll be back." Beans stand beside me and I try to smile but it felt weird. "I don't think so, we're going home Bailey." Her mom digs into her bag but her Dad looks at me and tilts his head towards the entrance of the field. "It's just one talk, I'm sure they won't go far but if anything does happen then God so help me." He speaks and I stare blankly. I don't remember him ever being strict like this.

Do her parents know what happened between us? Do they know that I almost beat someone to death? "If she isn't home tonight and you kidnap her, I'm suing." Her mom huffs and I nod vigorously, "She'll be home I promise." I tell them crossing my heart then I look at Beans and she starts walking with me.

"You're nervous." She says looking at everyone around but me. "A little I admit." I clear my throat again. Silence passes before I see her mouth open, "Thank you for the car by the way. You didn't have to but I do appreciate it." She gives me a soft smile making me feel warm. "Oh it's no problem, I thought it would be a nice graduation gift since you're going to college." I speak lowly as we walk through a crowd to get to the parking lot.

"Yeah about that, I don't know if I am going to college. My parents have put in applications I just don't have an 'okay' from any of them." I watch as she fiddles with her fingers. "Also can you drive? Because I'm still not that confident even with Sage's driving lessons." She hands me her keys and I see her car a few spots away. "Yeah I can drive." I take them from her.

"Where are we going anyway?" She asks and I get tempted to say a 'surprise' ah fuck it. "It's a surprise." I smirk a little at her then I feel a shove against my shoulder, "That's not fair, I agree to let you kidnap me for a few hours and this is what a I get." She crosses her arms with an attitude and I bounce back to her side.

"I can't kidnap you, your mom said she'll sue me and plus you've been there before because this is a serious talk." I tell her before I jog to the passenger side opening the door for her. "I can open my own door and she won't actually sue you." She says before getting in. "I know but just because you can doesn't mean you have too." I whisper to myself after closing her door.

________________

Bailey's POV:

We drove in silence but it wasn't the kind of silence that was thick like on prom night. We were comfortable at least I was. "So I still don't get to know where we're going?" I lean my head off the window breaking the quietness, "Nope but like I said you've been here before and we're here actually." She pulls against the pavement of a street and she gets out of the car.

I do the same removing my gown and cap then I shiver a little from the cold air. "Here, you can use it. I'm not cold." She hands me a hoodie that I gave back a while ago before our break-thing that happened. "Thank you." I take it put it on and follow her up the path. I stopped walking as she did and she looks at me pointing at a small building with an art-decorated wall.

My eyes adjust to the darkness and I see her walk over the wall sitting down on the grass. She nudges her head and I walk over to her looking at the wall and I notice familiar paint strokes. "Surprisingly it's still here, as it should." She comments and I realize that it's the library we spray painted. We're back here again. I smile a little before sitting beside her hugging my knees.

"So what do you want to talk about, what happened that night? Or Us?" I turn my head seeing a shadow cast over her head that illuminates our art. "Everything, from the start I guess. Just don't freak out okay because my job, what Sage, Dean, and I do is not what you're parents do at all and that night had to do with it. Also just, believe me, I swear I'm telling the truth." She looks at me and I nod slowly.

"I won't freak out, just tell me so I don't start overthinking everything," I tell her and she sighs rubbing her face. "I'm part of the mafia." She bows her head. "I don't believe you." The words left my mouth. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that but the mafia? That makes no sense." I bite my bottom to keep myself from talking. How am I supposed to believe that.