Ashaangi Ficlet Noolukettu

Hey guys, one of our fellow Ashaangian sister Misha has passed away yesterday. Never interacted with her but read about her and heard her sing. Such a talented person she is....Gone too soon! I hope and believe that she's at a better place now. May her soul rest in peace.

Disclaimer: This story is a piece of fiction based on the author's imagination and has nothing to do with the actual life of the characters mentioned in the story.

~ * ~

Ashaangi Ficlet Noolukettu

Ashwin's hand held together the piece of white cloth that's keeping his naked upper body covered while his misty eyes was taking in the scene before him wordlessly with a constant smile on his lips.

Sivaangi was sitting on the floor beside Ashwin's sister Anu who had Ashwin and Sivaangi's twenty-eight-days-old baby girl cradled in her arms while Sivaangi's perimma, Sadhana and Ashwin's mother, Shakunthala was instructing them on what to do.

Ashwin got emotional on watching the most important women in his life together; his mother, sister, wife and daughter are in front of him and he felt a sense of content seeping into his heart. His eyes ran over them before fixing on his little one. She was sleeping; her eyes closed, lips slightly part and her little legs safely in Sivaangi's hand.

A wide smile spread over Ashwin's lips on seeing Sivaangi watching their baby with full concentration while firmly holding her little legs. Dressed in traditional Kerala saree, Sivaangi looked beautiful with post pregnancy glow. Her pouted lips as she had her eyes fixed on her baby was such an adorable sight.

The whole journey right from the moment Sivaangi informed Ashwin about the pregnancy to the day his baby girl was born to until now played before Ashwin's eyes. He remembered tearing up on the day he knew he has become a father and also on the day he took his little princess in his arms. Those are such a beautiful moment that would forever be etched in his soul.

Ashwin was so lost in his thoughts that he failed to hear his mother calling him. Vinayak who stood next to him, nudged him and that is when he broke free of his trance and looked up.

"Ashwin, Sivaangi pakathula okaru" Shakunthala said and he gave a nod to his mother before sitting down beside Sivaangi who tore her eyes off her baby and looked at him.

"Ashwineyy va"

Sivaangi grinned at Ashwin, leaned against him and whispered something to him. He smiled widely and nodded at her before placing a quick kiss on her cheek making her smile brightly.

"Adei ithu onga Kolandha per vaikura function theriyuma? Huh, aanalum onga alichatiyam thaanga mudiyala da" Pugazh said as he looks up from his hand cam making everyone laugh.

"Anneyy!" Sivaangi smiled sheepishly at Pugazh while Ashwin threw a flower at him which he dodged successfully.

Shakunthala passed gold waist chain to Sadhana that Ashwin's family brought for the newest member of Lakshmikanthan family while Binni handed the black thread, dress and gold baby anklets to Sadhana.

Sadhana twisted and tied the gold waist chain and black thread together making it an aranjanam and kept it on a tray. She then placed the anklets along with the jewels Ashwin's family brought for baby and passed it to Anu.

"Dress potu vitundu, aranjanam katti noolukettanum, jewels potu vidanum. Pinne kannuku mayee idanum" Sadhana said to Sivaangi and Anu who listened to them earnestly while Sivaangi's cousins started singing noolukettu song for the ceremony.

Sivaangi dressed the baby girl in Kerala type pattu pavadai while Ashwin held the baby. Thankfully the baby only stirred a little and didn't wake up.

"Ma, aluthi podatha ma. Ammu ku valikum" Ashwin said but kept his mouth shut the next moment when Sivaangi glared at him making him smile sheepishly at her and added, "Ila ma, ath-"

"Dei koncham suma iru da" Anu said making Ashwin shut up.

Once the baby is dressed, Anu made the baby wear chain, ring and bracelet and took the baby in her arms. Then Vinayak was called to put the anklets for baby while Sivaangi leaned herself comfortably against Ashwin and watched everything.

"Ashwineyy, papa mulichuta ena panrathu?" Sivaangi whispered to Ashwin.

"Mulichuta na nee poe feed panitu vandhru ma. Ilana ammu aluva" Ashwin whispered and they both were immersed in their conversation as they watched Binni applying kajal to little one's eyes before placing dot in baby's cheek and forehead.

"Ivanunga irukanungaley!" Pugazh pointed Ashaangi to Vinayak making him laugh, "CWC la irundhu ipo vara rendum suthi yaru irundha engaluku ena nu pesa arambichuruvainga. Keta kannala aayiram pesuvom kaathala pathayiram pesuvom nu soluvanunga"

Anu shifted the little one in her arms and passed her to Sivaangi who cradled the baby girl. Ashwin helped holding the baby in such a way that Anu tied the aranjanam around baby's waist who was still asleep.

"Paathu kattu akka. Romba tight ah kattiratha. Ammu ku aluthira kudathu" Ashwin kept saying now and then making Anu roll her eyes.

"Ashwineyy!" Sivaangi nudged Ashwin with her elbow.

"Ma! Valikuthu ma" Ashwin faked as always making Sivaangi laugh.

It was time to name the baby. They asked both their fathers to whisper the baby's name simultaneously in baby's ears. Lakshmikanthan and Krishnakumar stepped forward and sat down on either side of Vinayak who was sitting in front of Sivaangi. She passed the sleeping baby to Vinayak and he held the baby firmly.

Lakshmikanthan and Krishnakumar leaned on either side of the baby's ears.

"Mishalini"

The father duo whispered in baby's ear with bright smile and baby Mishalini who was sleeping till now opened her eyes as she yawned before looking at everyone with sleepy eyes and closed her eyes back with a smile making everyone go aww.

Vinayak leaned in and whispered baby's name and passed the baby to Ashwin who cradled Mishalini. He and Sivaangi whispered the name into baby's ears before he said the name aloud and everyone clapped.

Binni gave a leaf that's shaped as a small bowl with honey to Sivaangi. Ashwin dipped his finger in honey and rubbed it on Mishalini's lips who stirred and tasted it. Sivaangi then held Mishalini's baby fingers and wrote Mishalini Ashwinkumar in the plate with uncooked rice mixed with turmeric.

Ashwin watched as everyone cheered for baby Mishalini who's seated on her mother's lap. There was happiness everywhere around but his eyes stayed on his wife and his daughter, a constant smile etched on his face while his heart brimmed with happiness and pride. He loves them both beyond words and would go to any extent for them.

Ashwin thought to himself as he watched Sivaangi placing a soft kiss on Mishalini's forehead, 'Wherever life takes us, I promise to love and cherish you both with all my life, Sivaangi ma and ammu'

And Ashwin was among those who keep his promise.

THE END

~ * ~

Hey guys, hope you all are doing good. I hope you enjoyed what you read. I've no clue about Kerala type naming ceremony. I just wanted to write this.

Will be posting the TS soon. Thank you for your response on the previous story.

Nan ~