Chapter 38: Mourning

Y/N opened his eyes. His mind was blank. What just happened?

He was laying face down on the ground. Y/N stood up. Looking around, he noticed that he was standing in a tunnel. A jet black tunnel.

"Where am I?"

He saw a shining light at the end of the tunnel.

"Wait... is this it? I have heard stories about a light at the end of the tunnel. Has my life finally come to pass?"

He walked a bit closer to the light. After taking a few dozen steps, he saw a being in front of him.

Y/N squinted. The light shining from the being was blinding. Especially in the dark environment.

The being turned to Y/N. He noticed that the being was completely featureless. There was no nose, no eyes, no mouth. It was sort of like a mannequin.

"Hello there! I've been expecting you."

"Who are you?"

"Is that how you always treat someone? Well, it doesn't matter now. All you need to know is that you can trust me. Follow me."

Y/N shook his head.

"And why should I?"

"Do you have anywhere else?"

The being held his hand out to Y/N. Fingers pointing behind Y/N.

He tried to back up, but then felt something hard behind him. Y/N turned around. The tunnel he just came from disappeared.

"Trust me."

Y/N turned to the being once more.

"Fine."

Y/N followed the being down the tunnel. Everything became a lot more comforting with a huge light in front of him. The tunnel seemed to be less dark.

Y/N wasn't sure how much time has passed. Whether it be hours or seconds. But eventually they reached the end of the tunnel.

The being stepped to the side. He offered Y/N to go first.

"Ladies first."

Y/N walked through, ignoring the comment. He was too distracted by what stood before him.

His mouth was trembling. His eyes widened. Y/N fell down to his knees. Tears were streaming down his face.

There stood fluffy white clouds. Upon those clouds stood a giant golden gate. Winged children were frolicking in the air. A faint chorus was heard behind the heavenly gates.

"Is this?"

"Yes... it is. You've finally made it."

The being walked in front of Y/N. He turned back and stretched out a hand to him.

"It's time to go now."

"But what about everyone else?"

"Don't you remember your original mission?"

"To... to achieve Heaven."

"And you've made it."

Y/N was about to grab onto the being's hand. But then, he stopped. He pulled his arm back to him.

"I can't... I can't accept this."

"Why not? This is your goal, is it not?"

Y/N stood up.

"Even if it was, it is no longer my mission. I can't accept this. It is selfish of me to go on without my allies. The people that brought me here."

Y/N remembered all the people close to him. Father Bonsai, Kakyoin, Midoriya, some of the other classmates that he would rather not name.

"I will bring them here. To see the full light of God. I still need to finish some things before I go."

The featureless being nodded.

Suddenly, an explosion of light threw Y/N off his feet. The being burst into butterflies made from light. And there stood a man. A man Y/N had seen far too many times.

There stood Enrico Pucci.

"Never forget that feeling."
____________________________
Y/N opened his eyes. He looked around the white room he was in. It was filled with medical equipment. A room Y/N knew too well.

Then, the door opened wide. Midoriya walked through the door. His face was looking quite sad, only to brighten up once more after seeing Y/N awake.

"Yo-You woke up! Yes!"

"Eh? What happened? Why am I here? How long have I been asleep?"

"Well.....

Ok, I don't think I'm gonna do the Stain vs Todoroki, Midoriya, and Iida fight. It goes exactly like the original anyways. You know, they beat up Stain. Pro heroes find them. Flyer kidnaps Midoriya. Stain kills flying Nomu. Lung pierced by bone when Stain is about to wreck everyone. Stuff like that.

"I see..."

"It was a close fight, but we were able to get away with it. The police told us that if we gave a pro hero the credit, we won't have to be punished! I hope that was okay with you."

"Of course... but if you don't mind..."

Y/N struggled to get the words out.

"What happened... what happened to Kakyoin.."

Midoriya looked down. His face looked sad again.

"I'm afraid he was killed in the action. He died from blood loss."

This only confirmed Y/N's fears. He knew this would happen, he just hoped that it wasn't the case.

"I... I see.."

Midoriya sat up from the chair that was residing next to Y/N's bed.

"I should let you have some time alone."

"Thanks."

Even after Midoriya left, Y/N let out no tears. He already knew this was the case. But that doesn't mean he didn't feel any sadness. Any shame in himself.
____________________________
Y/N stood over a large rock. Many people would call this a grave. But to Y/N, it was just another piece of rock. A rock standing above a dead body. What good is person once they have died.

That is what Y/N tried to tell himself, but nothing could stop the tears from streaming down his face. A drop of water landed on Y/N's hair. He looked up.

"What a terrible day to rain."

Y/N stood over Kakyoin's grave for a while. His clothes were drenched from the pouring water.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't save you. Nor could I avenge you. I'm such a failure of an intern. A student. If only I was a bit faster. A bit stronger. A bit more intelligent. Maybe you would still be alive here today. You should've picked someone else.."

Y/N let his tears flow down his face.

"You're not fooling anyone by standing behind that statue."

Y/N turned around. His eyes still red.

"Just come on out."

He heard something squeak behind the statue before seeing a man in a wheelchair reveal himself.

"Polnareffu..."