Chapter 39: Wood

"Hey, Y/N."

There were clear signs that Polnareff was also crying, but Y/N didn't point it out.

"Hello, Polnareff."

Polnareff came closer to Y/N.

"I'm quite sorry for your loss."

"Didn't you know him too?"

"Yeah, we were best friends."

"I'm sorry."

Y/N's head hung.

"Sorry for what?"

"Sorry for letting him down. Letting your best friend down. And in the end, I couldn't save him."

Polnareff's face saddened before looking back at Y/N.

"Come with me."
____________________________
Y/N and Polnareff both entered a large mansion. A butler arrived with towels and a fresh pair of clothes.

After changing into new clothes, Y/N followed Polnareff to a room with a fireplace. He offered Y/N a seat.

As Y/N sat down, he asked

"How did that man know my size?"

"Who knows, even I'm not sure. He always finds a way."

"That doesn't sound like a trustworthy butler."

"Maybe, but he gets the job done. Anyways, we should have a talk."

Polnareff put a hand on Y/N's shoulder.

"It wasn't your fault."

"You don't know that. You weren't even there. You weren't even there when he stood up to protect me. I was the one who disobeyed his orders! And the one that ruined his plan. You weren't even there Polnareff, so what type of best friend are you!"

"I'm only going to take that because I know we are both hurting right now. Pucci...

You know the risks of being a hero. You saw it yourself. Many people die. Some of them we know. But Kakyoin still pressed on. He knew the risks and still moved forward with his career.

Unlike me.

I don't have a single doubt in my mind that suggests that Kakyoin regret his decision. Decision to save you. Nor the decision to take you in.

He could've chosen any other student in your class. He could've chosen the winner! Like everyone else was doing. But no, he chose you. You know why?"

"Because he saw untapped potential in me and wanted to unlock it?"

(NERRRRRRRRRD)

"Well, uh. That and the fact that you have a stand."

"Oh.."

"The point is, he chose you for what you are. That means your flaws included. He chose to protect you for a reason."

Y/N felt like a weight was lifted from his chest.

"Thanks Polnareff, I feel a bit better now."

"Anyways, we have something else to discuss as well."