crash pt2

ACES POV
After 2 hours of having to sit in this corner while nurses and doctors surround my wife, their hands being all over her unconscious and wounded body, they finally leave and I'm left alone with her.

I stare at her face, softly rubbing her cheek with my thumb as her beautiful brown eyes stay shut, I occasionally look over at the heart monitor making sure I tell myself that that line will continue to move at a steady pace.

She had flatlined 2 times for around 30 seconds, I could feel my heart shatter as I heard the constant ring of the flatline. I ran over to her pushing all the doctors out of the way and started trying to help her in any way I could. Then realizing the people who could actually help her were unable to get to her because of me I backed away and let them do what they had to do.

Thankfully, they were able to bring her back but my heart still remained in pieces, it would only be back together when she was back in my arms, healthy and awake.

I hated seeing the bruises litter her face and the cast on her leg, the bandage on her face. How could I let this happen?

I continue staring at my face until I hear a knock at the door, I look over for a second not wanting to take my eyes off my girl. I see a flash of Dante peering into the doorway.

"You can come in," I quietly say not sparing him a glance. I hear the shuffle of his feet get closer before he sits down behind me on another chair. I look back at him and he's bent over, his hands running through his hair and over his face.

"Is she ok?" I ask and he looks up at me, bags forming under his eyes and his eyes bloodshot, red with tears.

"Yeah," he whispers brokenly. "I thought you wanted some alone time so I didn't check on her," I explain since I never checked on Mila. "It's fine, she's doing ok," he says giving me an unconvincing smile. "How's she?" he says nodding his head toward Aria.

"She flatlined twice but she seems to be doing better," I explain my heart breaking even more as I realize that I actually said that. "Damn," is all he says leaning back in his chair.

"You should get some sleep," I say pulling out my phone which showed the time, 3:15am. "So should you," he retaliated. "Fair enough," I say turning my body slightly so I was facing him more.

"They'll be ok," Dante says standing up and patting my shoulder with a little nod. "I know," I whisper. "Get some sleep," he says walking out of the room.

How could I sleep when anything could happen within the hours of me being asleep. I couldn't risk it. I needed to be awake for any circumstance to arise. If she were awake and vocal I would but she's helpless, I can't leave her like that.

So I stay awake. I stay awake the entire night, not that there was much night left but I stayed up, staring at her face, analyzing every wrinkle and freckle on her face, I keep my hand in hers in case she moved.
————————

"Wake up my boy," I hear a gentle voice say and a loving hand caressing my shoulder. I squeeze my hand to make sure Aria was still with me but I don't feel anything.

My head shoots up and I realize I didn't feel anything in my hand. I look down at my hand and it's empty, I look around the room seeing no one except Mama who's standing behind me looking down at me.

"Where's Aria," I ask disregarding my mom and jumping out of my seat going toward the bathroom. Maybe she was in there. Is she awake? She wouldn't be moving this early if she woke up. I would know. I would've woken up.

"She's not here," Mama softly says as she comes up behind me. "What?" I whisper feeling my heart drop. My legs almost give out but I keep strong, holding onto the door side.