✨Part-69✨

A lot had happened since they decided to reconnect, Claire was starting to find herself again, Lando was trying to challenge for a title and Ophelia was learning to stand up by taking support from things.

It was an exciting period for Claire, everything was going so great. She couldn't believe how far they had come, the bad decisions, sleepless nights, few moments of weakness it was all worth it.

She was on her way to the airport right now, to spend the next month with him. She was excited and nervous, he had planned a whole seaside holiday for them. She tried to get more information but all he revealed was Palermo wasn't the only place on his list.

He was worried about whether she'd like what he had planned out for them, he nervously paced in the lounge of the airport. He constantly looked around to see when her flight was landing, when he noticed a change in the arrivals his heart started beating even faster.

He had to pinch himself, it was real. The girl of his dreams was right here, in front of him, waiting to spend the rest of his break with him. He was surprised by how much Ophelia had grown, she had tiny little teeth now and loved to give him a big smile.

Days flew by, they spent days driving along the coast, exploring tiny towns, scenic beaches and eating to their hearts desire. He watched Claire drive as she hummed along to the tune that played on the radio, the sunlight hit her face so beautifully. His little girl was in the backseat, singing along in her little babble, letting out a delighted coo every time she saw something she liked.

Damn, life is good. Life is perfect. He smiled to himself. This is all he wanted, this what he needed for the rest of his life. And he had promised to himself, once again, to do everything he could to make sure things remained bright and joyful like this as frequently as possible.

"What are you smiling at?" Claire looked at him.

"You." He beamed, placing a kiss on the temple of her forehead.

"You're so corny!" She laughed, "also, we're almost here."

"Five more minutes Little Worm and then you can roll in the sand as much as your heart desires." He checked the directions.

They were at the beach, the couple had very soon learnt that Ophelia loved the sand. She was still getting used to the sensation of the waves touching her feet. Lando held her little hands and helped her walk the beach, she never failed to express her joy by letting out a gleeful squeal.

"Are you trying to tell me something?" He crouched down to her height.

She joyfully grabbed hold of his face in her tiny hands, trying to give him a hug, "Da-da!"

He couldn't believe his ears, he carried her and bolted to where Claire was collecting shells, "Claire! Love! She said her first word! Say it again for mum!"

"Da-da!"she beamed giving him another one of her tiny embraces. Claire looked at her in surprise, before she knew it she was crying tears of joy.

"Why are you crying?" Lando placed his arm around her.

"She's growing so fast and you're so happy, this is all just so beautiful." She confessed, drying her tears.

"None of this would have been possible without you. You're wonderful Claire." He smiled at her.

Ophelia continued chanting the new word she had just learnt to say, he remarked it would only be a matter of time before she picked up more words.

With more long drives and walks on the beach, the holiday had come to an end. They headed back to Woking, tired but content. Claire knew that this is where the real test for their relationship started, this is what living together was going to be like.

"All your stuff is still here, I just moved it all into Ophelia's nursery so cleaning it out might take a while." He said pulling into the driveway.

"It's so funny how I feel so fondly nostalgic for this place," Claire looked at him, "and at the same time I feel a little sick too."

"I promise to you, this time around I won't let you associate this place with bad memories." He held her hand.

They spent the first day back dividing chores, alternating between getting the house clean, unpacking from the trip. As anticipated, Ophelia was picking up new words almost everyday, her favourite thing to say was "vroom!" Pointing to Lando's helmets and trophies that decorated the whole house.

So far, Claire had realised just communicating what she expected from him and what he needed from her in turn had cleared so many things that would have turned into conflicts in the past. He wasn't half as bad as she thought he would be when it came to taking care of Ophelia, he was doing much better than she had thought.

Claire loved watching their relationship grow, she babbled to him in her broken language and he patiently heard her, nodding and celebrating when she looked excited. As much as it terrified Claire, she soon realised her little girl loved speed. She was probably going to grow up to love it just as much as her dad.

"Lando, you can push around her stroller fast and take her on runs and stuff. But if you put her in a go kart right now, we're going to have problems." She glared at him.

"Relax! She's not getting into a kart until she's five." He laughed, "and then boom! She's going to be a motorsport star."

"What do you have planned you sly man?" She teased him.

"Oh you know, the usual motorsport path. But only if she enjoys it. If she doesn't, then hey! She's a really smart girl too, maybe she can do brainy things like you." He smiled.

The young family had found their peace, a healthy balance between spending time with each other and pursuing their own interests.

***

Ophelia was looking out of the window with her dad, she pointed at things and he named them for her. A car drove into their driveway, Lando looked at Ophelia, it was time for her to get going.

"No. No. No." Ophelia pouted.

"I don't want you to go either. But you have to." Lando consoled her.

The day was here, their wonderful summer had come to an end. It was time for Claire and Ophelia to head back to Canada. Lando couldn't tell if Claire wanted to stay behind or go back.

"Does it have to end here?" He looked at Claire. He walked up to her, taking a seat next to her, "I don't want it to end here."

"Good!" She looked at him, wrapping herself around him, "because I don't want it to end, like ever."