chapter 19

Irene's POV

Working under the law enforcement agency is lot more hectic than one can imagine. No one knows when we are getting a call of a crime calling us to solve the case left by the mysterious criminal. In many cases, we have to risk our life to prevent a crime from happening. It would have been better things were like this. But sometimes, we can't take law in our hand. We are forced to live a life where one can go in and out of our life without our knowledge.

I was walking back from my workplace. Today was no different from any other day. We have been working on a new case for the past week but there's nothing much interesting except for the fact that the victim itself disappeared somewhere in the middle of the city or he already fled. The case was going slow which was somehow itching our seniors to close or maybe there are other reasons for which we are being kept away from the limelight of the truth.

"The car is registered under someone named Min Yoongi." I told my senior when we were discussing about the recent case.

"Are you sure?" He asked when we were going through the documents about past such accidents.

"Yes, I confirmed. All we have to do is to meet Yoongi-ssi but he is nowhere to be found."

"Could it be him then? Or is he dead.."

"I don't think he is dead sir. Because we have been informed couple of hours ago that he is currently abroad."

"Ya you should have just told me then."

"I apologise."

"Hmm..looks like someone has to go for confirmation."

"Ah yes. Understood." I said and took a deep breath of relief when he finally left the room. His stingy breath was much more annoying than the case itself. It might have not caught the eyes of my seniors but something was definitely wrong with the information we were given. My instinct said that there's some information we are currently missing now.

Just when I was looking for a source of hint, I found a familiar face sitting under the bright moonlight.

"what are you doing here?" I went to her and asked. She was surprised to see me.

"Oh Irene unnie.." Jisoo said when she finally realised that it was me. Someone she knew for a long time.

"It's been a while. May I?"

"of course you can." She smiled gesturing me to sit in the empty space beside her.

"Is something going on?"

"Huh? No..it's nothing serious."

One could tell that something was definitely wrong. Her eyes looked so tired as if she didn't slept a wink from past few days.

"You can tell me, Jisoo. I'm always here."

She smiled in return but didn't choosed to tell me anything. Actually I wasn't expecting her to speak about it  as well since we weren't that close. Few years of absence in someone's life drifts you a lot more than you think. Even if you think that you will be present in that person's memory, sometimes the memory is just forgotten.

"Looks like you still don't want to open up with me." I said breaking the little peace. We looked up at the blanket of stars that stretched to infinity. It was satisfying to watch them.

"It's nothing like that, unnie. It's something I don't understand as well."

I looked at her. Her eyes weren't lying when she said that.

"Is it love?"

The moment I said that, I caught her off-guard. Her expressions exposed everything. I didn't really mean't that when I spell the word 'love'. It was something I said out of blue and the answer, I wasn't really expecting from her. A mischievous smile curved on my face when she looked away hiding her emotions.

"So it is."

"No.." she told back but it wasn't convincing. I knew what was going on.

"If it's a secret, i will definitely keep it."

"Unnie, it's really nothing like that." She said. I realised I shouldn't force her for saying something I should never know.

"Okay okay. If it's not love then what.."

"It's what I want to know. Why do I keep thinking about him?"

"So it's a guy."

"No-"

"You can't wrong me now. It's a guy with whom you are having a complicated relationship, right?"

"How do you know?" She said looking at me in disbelief.

I smiled. Everything was going well.

"I am a detective. I know everything."

"Oh right."

"So.."

"So?"

"Who is this man who turned you like this?"

"I don't know. I don't know anything about him. All I know about him is just a name."

"Name?"

"Yeah..things have been really weird ever since we met."

She was starting to open up but stopped when my phone rang.

"Hang on..yeobosaeyo..ah yes..of course aunt. You can. Thanks. Have a good night."

The conversation lasted less than a minute. After I hang up the call, I turned to Jisoo who was now staring the night sky.

"It's pretty, isnt it?" I said.

"Right." She nods. I checked the time. It was almost nine.

"Hmm..It's pretty late. Aren't you going home?"

"I don't think so."

"Where is your home?"

"I don't have one."

"What?"

°°°

Half an hour later.
Irene's residence.

Jisoo's POV

"Feel free to live here. It's your home too now." Irene unnie said after we entered her elegantly bulid apartment. Everything was just beautiful curved.

"Unnie..thank you." I said though I was still in confusion of whether I did right or not.

"Don't stress while you are here. Here's the key of your room. Sleep well." She handed me a bunch of keys as she turned to leave for washroom.

"But-"

"Wait, you didn't ate right?"

Little later in the dinning hall, Irene unnie and I were eating ramen.

"You live in such a big apartment and yet your refrigerator is empty."

"I forgot due to workload. I mostly eat outside so.."

"Unnie, this is not fine. You are exactly like Jin oppa."

"Really?" Irene tried hard not to smile but she suspected that Jisoo already noticed it.

"It isn't something to be proud of."

"Now that you mentioned about him...tell me if he is still-"

"Jin oppa never had a girlfriend apart from you. Don't worry, he is still single. You wanted to know this right?"

Irene couldn't hide her little happiness she was feeling right now.

She nodded with a response, " Do you think he will still accept me?"

"I don't know. He never talks about girls."

"Shessh. That's a bit relief."

"But he is definitely not the type to make the first move."

"I was wrong for leaving him. Now I regret."

"Don't worry, you still have your chance." I said as we continue to chat throughout the night.