Chapter 1 - A New Padawan

Authors Note: Somehow, no one seems to take into account how Anakin would react to Obi-Wan getting a padawan literally right after he was Knighted. Especially if it was Obi-Wan's choice, Anakin would feel like he was just getting a replacement for him the first chance he gets, so prepare for a lot of angst. ^-^ 

~Rivana Rita & Tirana Sorki

This was a fic request from sketchywolf on ff.net. We got it a long time ago, and we've been slowly working on it ever since, exchanging ideas and planning the whole thing out together. Lol. We're finally ready to start releasing it, so enjoy! :D

~ Amina Gila

Of all the things Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi was expecting when Grandmaster Yoda summoned him to his chambers, this was not one of them.

"Busy with the new state of the galaxy, I have become," Yoda tells him. "Little time, I have to train my new padawan." Well, that Obi-Wan certainly doesn't find surprising. With civil war breaking out across the galaxy, the Council has their hands full. Shortly before the war started, Yoda has taken a new padawan – his first since Dooku. Having to deal with both the war and teaching the younglings, it's not surprising he hardly has any time for training the boy. He's the head of the Council and the Order, so even as busy as he was before, it's only worsened.

"A different master, he needs," the grandmaster continues, "A good teacher for young Theseus Shan, you would make." He – he wants Obi-Wan to take on his padawan? He's never really given much thought to taking another padawan after Anakin. He wasn't so sure that he was ever going to, at least not with the war going on, and even if he did someday, he didn't expect it to be this soon. Besides...

"Anakin won't be happy about it," objects Obi-Wan.

"Mmm... perhaps give young Skywalker a padawan, we should," Yoda murmurs, tapping his stick on the floor. Anakin having a padawan? He would make a good teacher, but he'd likely be very reluctant to take a padawan, and Obi-Wan isn't sure if he's ready for it yet either. He'd asked Anakin before, and he flatly refused, saying there's no way he could do it. But ever since the war started, Obi-Wan has noticed his former padawan becoming increasingly... reckless. He's more focused on the battle than anything else.

"I don't know if he's ready to train one," Obi-Wan replies hesitantly. Anakin might be, but he wouldn't want to.

"Ready to train a padawan, young Skywalker is," Yoda declares, "To let go of that padawan, a greater challenge, would be." Which is the exact thing Obi-Wan is worried about.

"That is what concerns me," Obi-Wan murmurs.

"Master this, Skywalker must," Yoda insists.

"How will we choose this padawan?" he inquires. Whoever they pick, it'll obviously have to be one who would fit with and get along with Anakin very well.

"Look for one, we will," the Jedi Grandmaster decides.

"Anakin will not want to take a padawan," Obi-Wan points out. "I asked him before, and he adamantly refused. It would only work if he was given one in the right situation."

"Hmm. Perhaps send her in during a battle, we should," Yoda suggests. That – that would be perfect. He wouldn't be able to refuse the padawan then, and by the time the battle is over, Obi-Wan is pretty sure he'd probably change his mind. Hopefully. It would depend on the person. He'll have to pick the right one. If its someone Anakin likes, he wouldn't want to let them go.

"That should work," he agrees finally, "That way, they can get to know each other before he outright refuses." A silence falls for a brief moment. It will take care of Anakin for the time being, but he still doesn't think his former padawan will be very happy about this. "When will I take Theseus as my padawan?" Obi-Wan asks at last.