Chapter 21 - Shadows of Mortis

"I won't let you leave this planet," the Daughter declares firmly, glaring at her brother. Obi-Wan stands next to her, bracing himself for the fight that is sure to come. He was trying to get answers from the Father on what they should do about the fact that the Son kidnapped both Theseus and Ahsoka, but Anakin went in search of them alone. He can only hope they're alright.

The Son stands up from where he was sitting at the top of the staircase, a mocking smirk on his lips. "You are not strong enough to keep me here."

"Not alone, she isn't," Obi-Wan retorts.

"Are you referring to your friend, the Chosen One?" sneers the Son, turning and walking over to a window in the room, "You might want to check up on him. He's a little preoccupied right now." Preoccupied? What has he done? The Force is nudging him to go, to make sure Anakin's alright. The Daughter should be able to handle her brother, at least for now. Obi-Wan turns, sprinting out of the room.

The three lightsabers lighting up the darkness stand out too much to be missed. As he runs up, he sees Anakin blocking Ahsoka's lightsaber before stumbling a step back. A masked figure with a purple lightsaber is standing next to her. Wait – is that Theseus? Why are the padawans attacking Anakin? What has the Son done to them?

Obi-Wan activates his own lightsaber, running over to join Anakin. Theseus lunges forwards, his blade connecting with Obi-Wan's. He hastily blocks his blow, countering it with one of his own before spinning to meet Ahsoka's next strike when she lunges at him next instead of Anakin. He stays on the defensive against both of them for a few moments, allowing Anakin to recollect himself before he steps forwards to join the fight again. They move back and forth like that, taking turns fighting the two.

All the while, his mind is whirling. How could they – either of them – have Fallen? As he continues to fight them off, though, he can't help but notice that while Ahsoka is basically flailing wildly like she has no idea how to use a lightsaber anymore, Theseus' attacks are different then his usual style – which is confusing him – but there is a sense of strategy and skill in it.

"Any suggestions?" Anakin calls as the fight continues.

"Yes!" Obi-Wan replies, "We cut them free!"

"Free?" Theseus shouts, though his voice sounds different from the mask. "I am free! I've been held back by the Jedi my whole life until now!"

"You don't mean that," Obi-Wan insists, raising his lightsaber to block the boy's next attack.

"Of course, I do," he hisses. "You've been holding me back!" What? What is he talking about?!

Ahsoka continues to flail her lightsabers practically blindly in between Anakin and Obi-Wan, even as Theseus steps back out of the fight for a moment. As much as he doesn't want to think about it, Obi-Wan can't shake the disturbing realization that while he's certain Ahsoka is somehow being mind-controlled by the Son, he can't say the same for Theseus. He's actually fighting and talking coherently, even if what's he saying doesn't make any sense or sound anything like anything he's ever said before. A glance at the expression on Anakin's face pretty much shows that he's figured out the same thing, if he hadn't guessed already.

"Snap out of it!" Anakin practically begs, shoving Theseus back. "I don't know what happened, but we can sort this out together."

"Not this time," the other boy retorts darkly.

Where is this coming from? Obi-Wan has never seen anything like it. Yes, he's a teenager and has verge temper-tantrums from time to time, though rarely, but never, never has he expressed frustration with the Order, let alone something as serious as this. The padawans aren't themselves.