Chapter 60 - Dathomir

The Force whispers of danger the moment Marr touches down on the planet. The sky is reddish, and trees and various plants surround him on all sides as he walks. He doesn't know where he's going, just... somewhere. Dathomir feels of the Dark Side, though nowhere near as strongly as Korriban.

He knows the place was once full of Nightsisters – would he really be sent to learn from them? – but he's pretty sure they're more or less all dead now. Something isn't right, though, and it doesn't feel like an animal.

Someone is watching him, and for some reason it feels almost familiar –

And then the Force screams.

Marr whirls around, right as a lightsaber hisses to life behind him, and a blur of red cuts for his head. He dives out of the way, scrambling to withdraw his own blade.

The figure. who he'd recognize anywhere. promptly lunges at him again, double-bladed red lightsaber spinning.

"You," Marr growls, bringing up his purple blade to block the attack. He wasn't expecting to run into him here, but the familiar surge of anger fills him.

Maul ignores the not-greeting, swinging for his head, then swinging low nearly taking off his legs. He cuts down to block it, and the other side of the Sith's blade nearly glances off the side of Marr's helmet. He really should have been paying more attention, because he was not anticipating being jumped like this. And it's been a very long since he actually fought a worthy opponent with a real lightsaber.

The Sith kicks him and the metal clashing into his leg would've hurt a lot more if not for his armor. Marr throws up a hand, shoving the Zabrak back a few steps. He's about to lunge forwards again when the Force coils around his neck, lifting him off his feet. No –

A blinding panic hits him – because there's no way he's going to die here and now like this, in the stupidest duel of his life – and he tries to lash out with the Force but the Sith abruptly releases him, letting him fall unceremoniously to the ground. Marr immediately starts to push himself up, only to find Maul's lightsaber leveled an inch away from his neck.

"What are you doing here?" the Sith demands.

"I could ask you the same question," Marr answers flippantly.

"This is my home planet, Jedi," Maul spits.

"I'm not one, actually. Thanks for asking."

The Sith scoffs. "I know who you are."

"I'm flattered you remember me," Marr shoots back. Seriously, why does he? Or were their fights that significant to him? Whatever. It doesn't matter. He just needs to figure out what to do now, and... Was the Force really directing him to Maul?

Because he's the only Sith left who could teach him that he knows of, and... No, he would never be able to tolerate such a thing. He can't stand being around him, and the very thought is ridiculous.

(He needs someone to help him, though and isn't trying to find a way to take down Sidious a little more important than his own personal feelings? It was one thing he learned as a Jedi, that... he still believes.)

"What are you doing here?" The Sith ask again, eyes narrowed. He seems decidedly grumpy at the moment. Then again, aren't Sith usually grumpy?

"The Force sent me here," Marr replies coolly, standing.

Maul deactivates his lightsaber, though he doesn't let his guard down any more than Marr. Now that he's here, he's not sure what to do. The Force clearly wanted something, but he's not sure what.

"I wasn't expecting you to have survived," the Sith comments lightly.

"What? You really thought you could kill us by running off with that shuttle?" Marr retaliates.