Chapter 48 - Old Friends, Not Forgotten

Author's Note: Don't kill me please? :') We haven't even reached the sad parts yet, but I still think y'all will be after us. Lol.

There will be a happy ending. I promise. Just because this isn't a fix it, that doesn't mean the ending won't be happy. It will just... take some time to get there, okay? :)

~ Amina Gila

"Any sign of that tactical droid?" Theseus calls above the sound of explosions, ducking a blaster shot and spinning his lightsaber furiously to deflect a few more shots as the droids keep shooting.

Five months. It's been five months since he was last on Coruscant. Sometimes, Theseus can hardly believe it's been so long. Going back feels like a dream.

In some ways, though, he almost thinks he's happier away from the Temple out here in the battles, then he was back on Coruscant. He doesn't know what that says about his mental state, but he can't help it. Being on Coruscant does nothing but remind him of all the things that he's lost.

When he's out here fighting, he feels free. He doesn't have to constantly think about what happened with Ahsoka or his mother, or anything.

To a point, he's noticed the same seems to be true about Anakin. Even if it's likely not fully true, the Knight seems to be a lot lighter as opposed to how he was almost half a year ago. Things are far from perfect, but there's times, like right now, that things actually feel... manageable.

He wishes they could have more time for things beyond fighting, but at least they're together. At least he's here with Anakin, and Obi-Wan, and Cody, and that's the most he can ask for. They're the only ones left of his family anymore. He hasn't seen Caleb in person yet, although they have spoken occasionally via hologram. He's out on the battlefield again, but far on the other side of the galaxy with Depa.

"Not yet, sir!" Cody calls back.

Great. That's all they're waiting for to win this battle. Until they find it, they aren't going to be getting anywhere.

Throwing himself back into the constant action, Theseus advances on the droids, slashing through a few that are too close, but most of them are shooting at long range right now.

The Force suddenly screams in warning, and Theseus' head snaps up to see a blinding flash of light flying through the air, a cannon blast about to hit the ground around them, and it's headed straight for Cody. No.

He instantly whirls around, running towards where it's going to hit. If he can't get there in time –

There's a flash of blue, and Obi-Wan jumps into view, deflecting it aside with his lightsaber barely in the nick of time. "Take cover!" Obi-Wan calls, as more explosions tear through the ground around them. They rapidly retreat, the three of them ducking behind an overturned and half-destroyed gunship.

"Hopefully Anakin is doing better than we are," Theseus calls over the commotion. He probably is. He pretty much always is.

"Anakin, where are you?" Obi-Wan calls impatiently into his comm.

"Right behind you!" a familiar voice answers cheerfully.

Theseus looks up sharply to see Anakin standing a short distance away. He casually ducks a shot that flies right past his head.

"It's about time you showed up!" Theseus exclaims.

"What are you doing down there?" Anakin asks blithely, jerking sideways to avoid another blaster shot that could've taken off his head.

"Taking cover! Now get down!" yells Obi-Wan.

"You can't be serious, Master," Anakin shoots back, "There can't be more than a thousand droids down there, tops."