Chapter 69 - Whispers of the Past

Vader still isn't sure what to make of this. Ahsoka is still alive, after all these years, and – and so is Theseus. He thought – hoped – their paths wouldn't cross again, because he knew what would happen. He knows what's going to happen, now. He didn't want it to come to this, but he knows Sidious will order him to hunt them down and kill them... or capture them. He prefers that, because they could survive and maybe take down Sidious. Finally. He wants to, but he's not strong enough to do it alone.

He doesn't know which Sidious will order him to do, but he has to tell his master what happened. Either way, he's going to be sent after them. Their presences could easily lead him to other surviving Jedi. For a moment, he thinks back to the two he fought on Lothal. One of them was Caleb; he's certain of it. That he survived is... surprising. But if he keeps fighting against the Empire, with his skill level, he won't last long.

Forcing his mind onto... less risky topics – which is hard when he's delivering news about Ahsoka and Theseus – Vader strides onto the bridge, giving the order for everyone to clear it. As soon as they're gone, he calls Sidious, kneeling on the floor in front of the hologram.

"Lord Vader," his master intones, "Have you dealt with the rebels in the Lothal system?"

"Yes, Master. They are broken," he replies.

"And yet, I sense in you something more to your victory."

Of course, his master would pick up on it. He always does. That's why – "I believe the apprentices of Anakin Skywalker and Kenobi live and are in league with these rebels."

"Are you certain?"

"It was them." He could never mistake their presences, no matter how many years it's been. He's long since mastered the art of controlling what he's thinking about in Sidious' presence, though, so he doesn't let his mind drift beyond that point.

"This is an opportunity we cannot let pass," Sidious hisses, "They could lead us to other lost Jedi."

"Such as Kenobi," Vader states, instantly forcing back any memories that try to rise to the surface at the name. He knows his master is still alive, and that they will someday encounter one another again, and... he is not looking forwards to it.

"Perhaps. If he lives. Be patient, my old friend. For now, dispatch another Inquisitor to hunt them down."

"As you wish, my master." The call ends at that, and Vader stands. If he's sending an Inquisitor after Theseus, he knows just the one to send.

He goes to talk to the First Sister in person immediately. "You summoned me?" Athea asks, yellow eyes regarding him with the faintest hint of curiosity.

"The Emperor wishes for one of you to be sent to hunt down the Jedi spotted on Lothal," he explains, "You our most suited for this task because of your... past experience with them."

"Who are they?" she inquires, voice betraying little emotion.

"Ahsoka and Theseus. The third resembled Caleb Dume."

There's a heartbeat of silence, and he sees the surprise that flits across her face. He doesn't miss the flare of... something like relief in the Force from her, jumbled with a mixture of other emotions. For all that she sees herself as someone else entirely, those she once cared for in her past still continue to affect her.

(Not as if Vader can say any differently.)

"I will deal with them," she replies. She hesitates a moment before speaking again. "It's possible that they could be... assets."

"Perhaps," Vader replies, inclining his helmet ever so slightly.

They drop the matter at that.

***