Chapter 97 - Lightsabers

Author's Note: So, there's a little closure in Athea's direction in this chapter. ;)

~ Amina Gila

So many people are gone, but Ahsoka only feels an odd sense of acceptance. This is what she's worked for since the Jedi fell. It's been close to two decades, and she's relieved that it's done. She feels oddly peaceful, and that's in stark contrast to everyone surrounding her. The Ghost Crew have departed to Lothal, and Anakin wants to go back to Mustafar to get her lightsaber. Not that Ahsoka needs it. Rex lost Gregor and Wolffe, which he's taking hard. Anakin has lost his once-Sith-master, and Ahsoka has no idea why he's taking it so hard. Marr lost his mother. Obi-Wan lost... everyone, but he also got everyone back. Ahsoka feels very much the same.

She's not happy, exactly, not yet, but she's peaceful.

They have hope from here. Anakin and Rex are standing together, overlooking the city down below, when she finds them. Neither are speaking, and she doesn't think they have – they haven't spoken much to anyone, period. Anakin hardly has time, and Rex isn't up for it.

"I'm sorry," Ahsoka tells them finally because she doesn't know what else to say.

"We knew the risks," Rex replies. "We all chose to take them."

"I know."

There's another moment of silence, and she can't help thinking about when she was young again. Them, both of them, had always been there. Their bond was forged through war and blood and death, and here they are, in the aftermath of it all, in a victory that can only partly be called such.

Where is there victory when everyone you know is gone?

In some ways, Ahsoka is glad the Palace doesn't look like the Temple. She doesn't think she wants to go back, not after what happened.

"It's hard to think this used to be the Jedi Temple," Rex remarks finally.

"Sidious remodeled the entire building," Anakin replies, "To destroy all remaining traces of the Jedi."

That Ahsoka is grateful for the change is something she doesn't voice. "Have you thought about rebuilding?" she queries.

"I... have not yet discussed it with Obi-Wan," he replies after a brief pause, "I will. We will need someone to take that role."

"I think we would be surprised by the numbers that have survived," Ahsoka comments, "And will return when it's safe." Sidious may have done everything he could to remove them, but the Force always has a way to work around it. Even when he sent Anakin to wipe them out and it still hurts so much thinking about what her master became. He was so kind. So soft. She doesn't understand how he could have been reduced to this. It doesn't make sense.

"Yes," Anakin agrees, "But most of the clones are gone. I have... some of those remaining at my castle. I did not know what else to do. They needed somewhere to stay. The others are scattered across the galaxy."

Now that they're together again, Ahsoka doesn't know what to do. There will always be people to help, but she doesn't know if she's ready to leave them and go back to what she once did. That's what frightens her – she's not a Jedi by name, but she is by choice, and she shouldn't neglect her duties.

"I have your lightsaber," Anakin blurts out suddenly, "At my castle. I found it. I kept it there. Do you... want it back?"

"I have my own," she replies, "But maybe." It was the lightsaber Anakin built for her, after all, and she left it there, thinking of him, knowing that she would have to let go of everything and move on if she was going to build the Rebellion. It never worked, though – Anakin was always with her. Constantly.