Chapter 15 - The Mandalore Plot

Author's Note: Aaaand... the plot thickens! >:) If anyone has any theories or questions feel free to share them! :D

~ Amina Gila

Theseus is both nervous and excited as the ship glides to a stop on the landing platform at Mandalore's capital. He can't believe he's seriously here, on the planet that his mother often talks about, and the place where he was born. It would almost feel like coming home – if he had a home here and knew anything about the planet, anyway.

"The Duchess awaits you, General Kenobi," a guard greets Obi-Wan as the two get off the shuttle.

"Far be it from me to keep the Duchess waiting," Obi-Wan replies. They get on a speeder, which takes them the rest of the way to the palace.

Glass windows line the walls of the large throne room, pictures decorating the walls in the few spots where there's enough room. Large elegant light fixtures hang from the ceiling.

Prime Minister Almec is the first to greet them, insisting that Mandalore would never turn against the Republic like the rumors claim and that they're fully committed to peace.

"Well, Master Kenobi," a woman's voice rings out. All heads turn to the doorway as the Duchess herself walks into the room, accompanied by a group of guards, "My shining Jedi Knight to the rescue once again." They used to know each other? From the way she's talking to him, the veiled annoyance in her tone and expression because of why they're here, Theseus has to wonder if they were more than acquaintances. Friends, perhaps?

"After all these years, you're even more beautiful than ever." Theseus raises an eyebrow at Obi-Wan's unexpected greeting. Maybe they knew each other better than he was thinking.

"Kind words from a man who accuses me of treachery," she retorts, sounding very unimpressed.

"I would never accuse you of personal wrongdoing, Duchess. However, a Separatist saboteur attacked one of our Republic cruisers. A Mandalorian saboteur." Obi-Wan withdraws a recording device, displaying a hologram of the warrior wearing Mandalorian armor.

"You must be mistaken," objects Almec, "No Mandalorian would engage in such violence, not anymore."

"You can see that recording as well as us," responds Theseus, "He's clearly Mandalorian."

"Where is this prisoner now?" presses the prime minister.

"He took his own life rather than submit to questioning. I know these commandos fought in many wars, often against the Jedi," Obi-Wan says. Like in the Mandalorian Wars from literally 4,000 years ago, the ones Theseus keeps having visions about.

"Every one of my people is as trustworthy as I am," Satine snaps, "I know we sound defensive, but –"

"Clearly, your investigation was ordered –" begins Senator Tal Merrik speaks up, where he stands next to Satine's throne.

"Because the Senate is eager to intervene in our affairs," Satine cuts off.

"My investigation was ordered by the Jedi Council," the Jedi Master replies.

"I stand corrected," the Duchess replies, much of her anger seeming to fade. Maybe the reason she was so upset was because she thought the Senate was involved. Considering that she's the head of thousands of currently neutral systems, that's hardly a surprise. "General Kenobi, perhaps you and your padawan would like to join me on a walk through the city?"

"Very well," the Jedi Master agrees.

Satine holds out a hand and Obi-Wan steps forwards, taking it as she walks down the steps of the throne. Theseus eyes them slowly. Something about that gesture seems more than a mere gesture of friendship. And it's weird to think of his master who's practically like a father being so close to someone like that. He always seems like such a perfect Jedi, even if Theseus knows he's still an ordinary human.