Chapter 20 - Alter of Mortis

"And now you see who you truly are. Only the Chosen One could tame both my children." The Father walks up behind Anakin, who stands over the kneeling forms of the Son and Daughter. Just a few hours after the sky cleared, and morning came, they had flown in with Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, with orders to kill them. Anakin saved both their lives, but it's taken a lot more out of him than he expected. He is only human, after all. He's never used the Force so strongly before, to the point that he practically felt completely One with it. It's not surprisingly it's taking such a toll on him. But he doesn't have time for this. He has a missing padawan to find.

"I've taken your test. Now fulfill your promise and let us go," Anakin demands.

"Ah, but first, you must understand the truth," insists the Father.

"We're a little short on time right now," Anakin retorts, turning away, eyes narrowing as he regards the Son. He stalks over to him. "What have you done with Theseus?"

Ahsoka and Obi-Wan – who he's certain have both been wondering what happened to him –tense, exchanging worried glances.

The Son only smirks in response, suddenly transforming into his bird form before flying away into the sky, cackling. If he wasn't so worn out, Anakin might have thought to use the Force to try and stop him like he did only minutes before, but he's already high in the sky by the time the thought crosses his mind.

"What did happen to Theseus?" asks Ahsoka anxiously.

"Yes, I've been wondering that this whole time," Obi-Wan frowns.

"The Son took off with him last night, and the Father demanded I do nothing until morning," he explains, shooting a glare at the Father.

"Before you leave, you need to understand the truth," the Father speaks up again. Why does he keep repeating that?

"Then tell me," Anakin snaps.

"All of you, leave us," he orders in response.

"Do not trust him," Ahsoka whispers, narrowing her eyes as she looks at him.

"You think?" he says dryly. As if he even could at this point.

"I said leave us!" Shooting a final glance over their shoulders, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka head off. The Daughter has already disappeared from sight. "Do you feel your destiny?" asks the Father, "You must see it now. I am dying, and you must replace me."

Is he seriously asking him – "Replace you?" echoes Anakin, "I can't stay here!"

"But this is yours," the Father insists, motioning at their surroundings, "It has been foretold that the Chosen One will remain to keep my children in balance."

No, no there's no way he can stay here. The galaxy needs him more than anything. He won't be helping anyone by staying here. "No," Anakin repeats firmly.

"I cannot force you to do this. The choice must be yours. But leave and your selfishness shall haunt you and the galaxy."

His words are unsettling, but when people talk like that, Anakin has long since learned against arguing with them, so instead he asks, "Where's Theseus?"

"You must let the Force guide you." That doesn't really answer his question at all, but he can hardly expect a better answer from someone so cryptic.

Obi-Wan and Ahsoka are waiting outside the ship when he arrives. "Ready to go?" Obi-Wan asks.

"How are we gonna find him?" Ahsoka asks.

"The Father said to 'follow the Force'," Anakin replies, walking up the ramp. "We'll have to try meditating."