Chapter 5 - Rising of the Malevolence

"What kind of shortcut?" Theseus demands, raising an eyebrow.

"Something undoubtedly more risky than the rest of the plan combined," Obi-Wan deadpans.

"That sure made me feel better about it," he mumbles under his breath, turning to look out the front viewport of the bridge. The Separatist mystery weapon that's been the cause of the death of countless Jedi and clones over the past several weeks was finally discovered. It's apparently an ion cannon on one of the most enormous ships yet, that takes out all the power on its target, so it can be completely destroyed without being able to fight back.

Now this ship called the Malevolence – how appropriate, Theseus must say – is heading for a medical center with literally 60,000 injured clones. And Anakin just decided to leave the main fleet with Ahsoka, Plo, and a small group of clones to take a shortcut, in the hopes of reaching the station before General Grievous does. Theseus would still like to know what exactly that entails.

Obi-Wan sends a transmission through to Anakin's ship as the fighters prepare to jump into hyperspace. "I hope you know what you're doing, Anakin," he says.

"I do," Anakin replies curtly. Dully, almost. With the same tone he's always been using on Obi-Wan.

"Well, take your shortcut, and we'll take the long way. But you better be there before I arrive."

"I'll be there." The transmission cuts out there.

The rest of the trip through hyperspace Theseus spends standing tensely near Obi-Wan, while trying to resist the urge to pace back and forth nervously. They streak out of hyperspace to see smoke and flames billowing out of part of the Malevolence. It's already been badly damaged.

Obi-Wan puts a call through to Anakin again. "Anakin, do you copy?" he demands.

"I'm here," comes the reply.

"Congratulations. It looks like your mission was a success," he compliments.

"Partially, but Grievous is still alive," Anakin responds. "The battle was pretty rough on my men. We're heading for the medical station."

"We'll take it from here. But don't worry, we'll call when we need you."

"I'll be ready," he answers before the connection breaks.

Obi-Wan turns to the clones on the deck. "All right, let's finish what Anakin started. Ahead full!" The Star Destroyer trembles ever so slightly as all of the guns open fire on the Malevolence. Explosions rip across the ship, and fires start licking in several areas.

"Commander, what is the damage level to the enemy ship?" Obi-Wan asks finally. Even with all of the laser blasts striking the ship, it seems to be holding together pretty well. Things can never be easy for once, can they?

"She's lost her primary shields and stabilizers," reports Cody, "But the ship is so massive, it can take all the fire our cannons can give it." Great. That's what Theseus was afraid of.

"We must summon reinforcements," Master Plo decides. He came in to join them not long ago.

"That's why I'm here, Master Plo," Anakin's voice sounds as he strides through the doors, Ahsoka following.

"Anakin, were you able to contact Master Luminara?" Obi-Wan inquires.

"Yes, Master. She's busy with a fleet of Separatist reinforcements nearby," Anakin replies. "She won't be able to give us support until she's turned them away."

"Then we'll have to make do with what we have," Obi-Wan sighs, turning as Yularen walks up. "Admiral, status report."

"They're not attempting to jump to hyperspace. Their hyperdrive must be damaged."