Chapter 73 - In Between

Author's Note: On the last chapter, there were a number of comments expressing dislike for Athea. And for those of you who feel that way, whether you said it or not, I completely understand your feelings. You're not wrong to dislike her; she did abandon Theseus and choose the Dark Side, and the power of saving Caleb (even if he would have died without her intervention), over her son. She is... a complicated character, and I think/hope that y'all will like how her arc closes in this fic. 

But there is... more about her that y'all don't know yet, explaining her current actions, or sort of, at least. Those details will come out in time. :)

~ Amina Gila

It's longer than Marr hoped before he actually finds a chance to meet Bail. He's on a mission with Ahsoka, where they're delivering important information to some top people in the Rebellion. Even knowing who's here is dangerous, but he's taken on a more and more active integral role in the Rebellion as time goes on.

"Senator?" Marr asks, approaching Bail. "Do you have a moment?" He's naturally in a hurry to leave, but he doesn't need long.

"Yes?" he queries. There's no hint of recognition in his eyes, but that's no surprise. It's not like he really knew him as Theseus anyway.

"I know you were well acquainted with my former master," he settles on, finally.

"You're a Jedi?" he asks, curiously.

"I am," he agrees, "I was Master Kenobi's padawan."

"Oh." There's an obvious hint of sadness on his face at the mention of the name, and it makes Marr's heart clench suddenly. Does he know what happened to Obi-Wan? Suddenly, he finds he doesn't have the courage to ask. It would be better to just know, to let go if he has to, but he can't...

Maybe he'll just get to the point now and hope he's given Bail enough of a reason to trust him. "I met your daughter," he continues, after a moment.

"She mentioned it," Bail replies, "You are... well known as the Mand'alor."

Right. The title again that, even after all these years, he still isn't fully sure fits him. He can't even take down Sidious. How could he lead an entire planet? But... more and more, he's getting certain that this is connected to how he'll overthrow the Empire. It would take an enormous amount of planning, though. "I understand if this isn't something you wish to discuss," Marr begins, "But I noticed she greatly resembles Senator Amidala."

For a long moment, Bail is quiet. "Yes," he says, finally, "But we do not speak of it."

It's not a confirmation, but Marr know some things are best left unsaid. He was right. Leia really is – Anakin had a child.

"Does Anakin know?" he blurts, without really thinking. He can't believe this. He suspected, but actually hearing is different.

Bail frowns. "He's dead."

Is that what he believes? It's – he should have expected it, but then, obviously Leia was telling the truth. Does that mean Anakin doesn't even know he has a child?!

"No," Marr objects, quietly, "I'd rather word about this not get out right now, either, but he's still alive."

"I have heard nothing of him," Bail replies, "The less we each know, the better, but if he was helping with the Rebellion, I would have expected to hear about it."

"That's because..." Marr draws in a deep breath, struggling to control the surge of emotions that hits him every time he thinks about it. Should he tell this to Bail? Is there a reason not to? He's one of the Rebellion leaders and if anyone can help them find Anakin, it's him. Besides, he's raising Anakin's daughter. Leia should know this, at least eventually. "He's – he's with the Empire. Ahsoka and I are trying to find out more information. We don't know anything for certain. But... he's a Sith."