Chapter 80 - Uniting Forces

This conversation is messing with Marr's head more than anything else. Obi-Wan isn't making sense. He seems to be in denial for some reason, and while Marr can understand the urge – it's truly more useful and less painful to himself – it doesn't do Anakin, or anyone, any good in the long run. All it does is hurt him more, and he's been hurt enough. They all have been.

Marr can't deny that part of the reason he wants to kill Sidious is for vengeance, but more than that, it's for freedom. So the entire galaxy can be free and rid of him forever, so they will no longer continue to be haunted by him, so they can find peace. He knows the dangers caused by a lust for vengeance, and he will not fall into that.

What matters most to him is freedom for the galaxy. It's always been true, and that's what lead him into the Dark Side as a padawan. If only he had seen the signs on Anakin. Marr, of all people, should have realized what was happening. He knew the path to the Dark Side, and somehow, he failed to notice his own brother walking the same path. His vod. This is his chance to make that right, and to make up for everything Anakin did for him. If only it were as simple to make Obi-Wan see it.

"It's a vicious cycle," Marr continues. "Vengeance – I understand it. But there must be a place it ends, right? When Maul murdered my father, I wanted nothing more than vengeance. I told myself it was justice, but I was lying to myself. Maul has done unforgivable things, but killing one who killed another will only lead to more death. None of us are the same people we used to be, Obi-Wan. I thought – I thought you would jump at a chance to help him, like you did me."

He can't... fault his master for that, he reminds himself. Obi-Wan has been through a lot, too. It would be easier to justify his actions than to accept that he was wrong, which he'd have to do before trying to make things better. Marr wants to laugh and cry at once, because Vader is the exact same way. It's insane how they went down the same path while still being on opposite sides of everything.

"It doesn't matter," Marr sighs, finally. "I will find and help him. I simply thought it would be... easier if you helped. He would have done anything you asked him to, but that was years ago." It's in the past, and it hurts to know that, because of all the things from the past, the one thing Marr thought could never break was Anakin and Obi-Wan's bond.

Apparently, he was as wrong on that as he was on everything else.

"If you won't help us, can't you at least tell me why you chose to hide out here? I had a vision of... I don't know. I saw A – Vader and Leia, and I saw someone else. I wondered if he was here. He... reminded me of Anakin."

From the slight twitch in Obi-Wan's expression, Marr really has to wonder now. There's definitely a reason he's here. The question is what. "You refer to the galaxy's last hope," he answers, cryptically. He's dodging the question, and it's much the same way Senator Organa did when he asked about Leia. Idly, he wonders if there's some connection.

"What do you mean?" he asks instead of answering – because really, he doesn't know.

"The twins," he answers. "Luke and Leia. They are the only hope of destroying the Sith."

But not Anakin, of course. Because Obi-Wan has already let go of him (Has he, though?), because holding onto him is too painful. Marr did the same thing, but now that he knows Anakin is alive and breathing, he has to try, even if he fails. He won't give up on this any more than he has on anything.

Hearing that Leia has a twin is... a little less surprising than he thought it might be. "Are you training him?" Marr wonders.

"No," Obi-Wan replies, "His uncle didn't want him trained. I will, when the time is right."