Chapter 89 - Preparations

Author's Note: We're getting to the end, slowly but surely! :) A little disappointed, tbh, because it'll be sad when the fic is over. Lol.

~ Amina Gila

Vizma knew this moment was coming, and it fills her with a thrilling rush of excitement when she feels her father's presence again, for the first time in so long. She calls the news to the others, and streaks outside without waiting for a response. The shuttle lands right nearby their hideout, her father and Anastasia walking down the ramp. "Dad!" She runs to him, throwing her arms tightly around him.

He catches her, pulling her into a tight hug. "I've missed you," she mumbles almost inaudibly, into his shoulder. She wants to go with him again, regardless of what's to come, but she knows she has duties here right now that she can't just abandon.

"I missed you too," he murmurs.

"Is it time?" her mother asks from behind them.

Reluctantly, Vizma pulls back, looking up at him. They're closer to the same height now, and she's about as tall as she's ever going to get. "Is it?"

"Yes," her father agrees, a look of determination in his eyes even if she can sense that he's... afraid. Nervous, at least. "It is."

"What? I don't even get a hello?" Anastasia complains.

Vizma rolls her eyes, circling around her parents to let them... do their thing, approaching her aunt. "It's been way too quiet without you."

Anastasia nudges her. "I can say the same. But I noticed that the moment you first left years ago."

"I did, too, but Zeb and Ezra made up for a lot of it," Vizma smirks.

"How have things been here?" she hears her father asking, drawing her attention back to the others.

"We have everything ready," her mother assures, "Boba has gotten the message everywhere."

"I can't believe it's finally time," Vizma breathes. It's exciting, thrilling, that they're finally ready for what she's been waiting for years to do. She's nervous, too, though. She doesn't know how this is going to end, but it's easier to pretend that everything is going to go alright. She knows the seriousness of it, but it's... unreal.

"We don't know how this will end," her mother states, growing grimmer. Vizma knows that, but she doesn't want to think about it. "But we are all prepared to fight to the end, if necessary."

"If we're losing, it's most important to at least survive," her father reminds. She really, really doesn't want to think about it.

He reaches over, laying a hand on her shoulder. "We must be practical." Okay, maybe she's not so ready for this after all. That is one thing she doesn't want to think about. She lost her aunt, and she spent so long away from everyone. She doesn't want to lose anyone else.

"We're all ready for the sacrifice," her mother declares firmly. Vizma wishes she could entirely share the sentiment. She does, but she's still scared.

"How are Ezra and the others?" she asks instead.

"They're fine. Preparing to free Lothal," her father replies. "They have missed you being there."

"I've missed them," she replies, "But I suppose we'll see each other again with a free Mandalore and Lothal." Or so she can hope.

***

It's the first evening he's had time to be around Bo in a year, and it may well be the last. Anything he wants to say to her, he needs to say now. The only problem is, he has so much to say. This is his wife. Everything he's done, he's done just as much to be back with her. And now, of course, they both know there's a high chance one of them may not make it out alive.