Chapter 67 - Fire Across the Galaxy

Author's Note: Rescues and reunions. :)

~ Amina Gila

"We might be able to try accessing more Imperial data here," Sabine muses, as she, Kanan, Ezra, and Vizma sit around a hologram map of Lothal, that includes a little about the new Imperial reinforcements. They already tried getting the information from a walker by hacking into the Imperial network, but it didn't seem to do any good. They can't find where Marr is being held, or if he's still on the planet.

"I hate to say it," Zeb points out, "But how do we know he's even still here?"

"He is still on planet," Kanan answers, firmly. He can feel it, in the Force, even though his presence is very shielded and distant. "He's in one of the cruisers." But what he doesn't know is where, and they'd never have time to fly up at there long enough to try and find him before the Imperials spotted them. They need a plan on where they're going, and he doesn't know what to do.

None of this is working, but they can't give up. They have to get him back. He throws a sideways glance at Vizma where she sits next to Ezra, a determined look on her eyes as they look over the hologram. He's just glad she's not currently having a breakdown over her father's absence but rather, is focused on trying to find him. She's not taking it well, not that he's surprised about that. She's only twelve after all, the same age he was when Depa died.

Just then, the door opens and Hera steps in, expression grim. "Not this time," she says.

"What?" Kanan frowns.

"I talked to Fulcrum," Hera explains, "We can't. We can't keep looking for him like this."

"What?!" Vizma shrieks, jolting upright.

"What are you saying?" Kanan demands, crossing his arms. She can't seriously be implying –

"We're putting ourselves and the mission at risk, for just one person," she explains, "Fulcrum said they can try to do something on their own, but –"

"He's not just anyone! He's our friend!" Ezra protests vehemently.

Kanan knows what she's saying, far too well. Only right before the mission he was talking to Ezra about it, trying to explain that sometimes you have to be willing to let people go, to do what's right. But that doesn't mean he's willing to give up on Marr.

He's the only person Kanan has met from his past, who's become something of an older brother. That's what he was before, and still is now. Sometimes it feels like he's holding on too tight, like the tighter he holds on, the more people are going to be torn away. He's lost so much already, and in the end, all he can do is keep moving.

But Kanan can't just let Marr go, not if there's a choice. He's snapped out of his thoughts at Vizma ranting.

"I don't care! If you won't do anything, I'm calling my mother!"

"Vizma –" Hera begins, and she only glares at her.

"I understand what you're saying, Hera," Kanan declares finally, "But we can't just give up on him. We do need to take a moment and think about this logically. There must be somewhere we can get information from, because right now, we are senselessly putting ourselves in danger. I say we try one more plan and take the time to think it through first."

For a moment, everyone looks at each other.

"Alright," Hera concedes at last, "But it has to be something good."

Ezra perks up, looking between the others. "I have an idea."

***

She's been on Mandalore since he left. She stayed there with Anastasia and the rest of those who were brave enough to continuously fight for the Mand'alor despite not openly fighting against the Empire. She stayed, without Marr, to grieve for him and their daughter and her sister.