Chapter 86 - Preparations

Author's Note: Are things winding down to the climax? Yes, yes they are. :D

~ Amina Gila

"We were able to recover several of the poison cannisters used by the Empire against the Geonosians," Hera reports, to a hologram of Bail and Commander Sato.

Bail looks more than a little relieved. "You must get them back to base immediately. If this evidence is presented to the Senate, it should be enough to convince them of the Empire's atrocities. At least, they will launch an investigation."

So, that's what he was planning to do with it?! "Won't Palpatine take action?" Marr asks.

"Perhaps, but if nothing else, it will sway many more to our cause," he replies.

Marr nods. That's definitely true, and they really need it now. Things are coming to a head, and they need all the support they can get. And if they could get so much more...

"Acquisition of a shield core and the rescue of Saw and Steela Gerrera makes this mission even more of a success," Commander Sato declares, before ending the call.

"We still don't know what the Empire was building," Saw objects.

"Maybe not, but they can't keep it hidden forever," Kanan replies.

"We need to see what we can do to find it," Marr declares, "Something far more sinister is at play here." But what, he can't say.

"What could be so secretive they killed a whole planet to hide?" Jyn wonders.

"We'll look into it," Steela asserts firmly.

"Good," Marr replies, "And while you're here, there's something else I'd like to discuss."

"What?" Saw asks.

"We worked together for years, and I think if we did it again, maybe we could end this... a lot quicker."

If the Gerreras joined him, in trying to simultaneously free another planet during the attack on Coruscant... Well, the more who do it, the better.

***

Now that they're slowly approaching the coming battle on Coruscant, Marr finds that his nervousness is growing exponentially. When they gather around the holotable, planning their next moves, sometimes he feels as though he's looking into the past. He can see younger Ahsoka with glaring clarity.

He remembers this from the Clone Wars, himself and Ahsoka and Rex and Cody, along with Anakin and Obi-Wan. And on occasion, with his mother and Master Yoda and... so many who are now gone.

He wishes there was a way to bring his mother back. Had he not been a Jedi at the time, Marr may have considered fighting harder to bring her back. He had let her go by the time he started truly learning about the importance of balance. That doesn't mean Marr doesn't still miss her sometimes. It's hard knowing who she's become, and maybe it would be easier to disassociate the two, but he can't and won't.

She was a Jedi Master and on the Council. She was blinded by the Code, too blinded by her beliefs in doing what was right to care for who she hurts, even if it meant going through her own family. Through those who loved her.

It's different with Vader. He doesn't have the same... disloyalty. Marr can see it with more clarity now that the pain isn't so fresh. He knows what would happen if he was captured, and... he can understand why Anakin would rather kill him than do that to him.

Even Death Watch has a certain code of honor, and loyalty means everything to them. Athea lacked that.

Master Yoda is still alive. Sometimes, Marr wishes he could see him again. Then he remembers how blinded by the Code the Jedi Master was, and he wonders. For all that it would be relieving to see him again, it may be better otherwise. Marr has accepted the Dark Side, and that is something Yoda would never stand by. He's not wrong about the dangers of the Dark Side. Controlling it takes great will and practice. If Marr didn't have the family he does, if he didn't have Revan guiding him every step of the way, he would never have succeeded, either. At the same time, he doesn't think he could stand by listening to the Jedi's preaching's about how Sith are evil – because that means Anakin.