Chapter 61 - The Darksaber

It's been a long time since Marr came here. He's lost track of time exactly, but it's been months. He misses his family a lot, but at least he knows that when he gets back, they'll still be there. With everything he's learned, it definitely makes the journey worth it.

Marr settles onto the ground a distance away from his ship, preparing to open the Sith holocron from Korriban again. It's definitely from before the Rule of Two, because the things it's says here are quite different from what Maul has always told him. Whoever made this holocron still focuses far too much on the Dark Side, though.

He needs to make himself see the Force as just the Force. It's actually becoming easier now, though, that he's learning to draw on it as himself more and more. Still, it would be easier if there was a Force user left who he could actually discuss these things with.

He senses it, right before Maul steps out of the trees, walking towards him. Seriously, why does he keep almost spontaneously showing up to find him for no apparent reason? It's not as if either of them still have any liking for the other, even if Marr is finding he's able to tolerate being around Maul far more now, after it's been so long. He's gotten used to it, even if he certainly still has no liking for him.

Unless it's because the Sith is...

Okay, saying he's 'lonely' is probably the most ludicrous thing Marr has ever heard, but at the same time, a part of him has to wonder if it's almost true. He doesn't have anyone else around who he ever talks to. The only people he deals with are those for his criminal empire, those who he talks to boss around and give orders. Or kill when they don't do precisely what he wanted them too. Seriously. There are other ways to motivate people.

Arguing with the very beliefs someone's been raised on their entire lives and still firmly stick too is pretty much pointless, though, so Marr generally keeps his opinions to himself, unless he's feeling like getting into an argument.

Marr raises a hand, shutting off the hologram as the other approaches. "Need something?" he asks, climbing to his feet.

"What is that?" Maul asks.

"A holocron I found on Korriban," he answers with a shrug. He never told Maul before because there wasn't a reason to.

"You went to Korriban?"

"Before coming here, yes. I think it's from before Bane's time." He continues after a moment when the Sith doesn't respond. "How could the 'Light Side' be 'weak'?" Marr asks.

Maul gives him a look. "You need me to repeat one of the first things I taught you?"

"No, I mean think about it," Marr protests, "How can part of the Force be 'weak'? The Force is the Force, right?"

Maul... actually seems at the tiniest bit of a loss of words, at least for a moment, probably because there is no real answer that he even can think of.

"Isn't the real difference between the Jedi and the Sith technically how they choose to draw on the Force?" Saying this out loud is actually helping get his own head on straight a little more.

"It is," the other agrees, narrowing his eyes, "The Sith use their passion. That is why they are stronger."

"So, is there really a Light or Dark Side?" Honestly, when he words it like that, Marr thinks the very notion is stupid.

Maul doesn't seem to share the same assessment. "Of course, there is!" Probably because he's never questioned his own beliefs before.

"Hey, I'm not asking you to start questioning your beliefs or something. I'm just saying it's an interesting thought to consider."