Chapter 3 - Mission on Teth

"So, what's it like to be Master Kenobi's padawan?" Ahsoka asks as she and Theseus walk together through the cruiser.

"I could answer that better if we hadn't been in battle almost the whole time," he replies dryly. He's tense from it even now, part of him still feeling sickened. He's a padawan, and he's not used to this, but he's a commander now. Get together, he orders himself. He needs to hold himself together. The clones need him now.

"I heard what happened," Ahsoka says after a moment of pause.

Of course, she did. Obi-Wan probably told her. Him or Yoda. He can't help a flicker of hurt at remembering his former master again. It's not something he wants to talk about, at least not now when there's so many other things they could be discussing. "How's Anakin?"

"Well," She looks slightly surprised, "Fine? I mean, he's a great master but he seems... I don't know."

He frowns. "What?"

"I don't know. Upset, maybe? Not at me, just..."

"I know," Theseus cuts her off. Of course. Anakin is obviously extremely hurt right now.

"What? You know what's wrong?" asks Ahsoka with a frown.

A quiet sigh escapes him. "Yes, I do. He was just knighted and didn't really want Master Obi-Wan to get another padawan so soon. I think he feels... hurt." Rejected, like Theseus has been feeling about Yoda. He knows that's something Ahsoka can relate with, considering the number of masters that have turned her down.

"Oh," she murmurs, looking away.

A heavy silence falls over the two of them for several long moments as they continue walking.

"Hey, we should be able to see each other more now," Ahsoka pipes up finally, "Since Master Kenobi and Master Anakin go places together a lot. Or at least I've heard they did before."

"I hope so," he agrees. "It's been rather lonely not being able to see you like we used to." Attachment or not, he can't help but admit it. She's been his closest friend for years, after all.

"Maybe we should go check on the clones now?" Ahsoka suggests. "They seem rather wary about the mission."

"Sure," he agrees.

***

By the time Anakin tracks them down, Ahsoka is over excitedly telling the gathered clones the story of how she apparently picked up a wall and set it down over Anakin's head, which Theseus isn't quite so sure he believes.

One of the clones in the back turns to Anakin. "Is that true, sir?"

"Well, most of it," he offers.

Theseus snorts. "I knew you were getting too carried away in story-telling."

"Hey!" protests Ahsoka.

"All right, men, we still got a job to do," the Jedi Knight reminds.

"Yes, sir. You heard the General, move it!" Rex orders, making a scatter motion. Everyone starts moving away and Ahsoka falls in step next to Anakin as they head to find the gunships. Theseus follows. They'll be exiting hyperspace above Teth and have to get there as soon as possible.

"Would this be a good time to teach you that a Jedi is humble, my young padawan?" Anakin huffs, but there's a sparkle of amusement in his eyes.

"Sorry," she answers remorselessly, "Just trying to keep the boys inspired is all."

"Sure, you were," Theseus smirks.

They've already arrived at the gunships and start heading down towards the surface by the time Obi-Wan finally contacts them again. "All right, Anakin, here's the story. Jabba has given us only one planetary rotation to get his son back home to Tatooine safe and sound."