Chapter 37 - Freedom For Onderon

Theseus moves silently through the streets again, dropping the holodevice he's carrying in a nearby stand before moving on like he didn't do anything at all. Time for the next step of the plan.

"It's time," the message finally cracked through his comm, and he pushes the button on his. All across the city, large holograms of Steela appear.

"People of Onderon, the time has come to take back our freedom. We have all been deceived. King Rash is a traitor who has sold Onderon to the Separatists for the crown. But Onderon is ours. We need your strength to reclaim our planet and restore our sovereignty under our true king, King Dendup!"

Steela really is good at giving these speeches. It's no wonder she accidentally got herself appointed as the official rebel leader only the night before. He didn't have a very good first impression of her, but now he's beginning to rethink that.

Glancing around, Theseus doesn't miss how a number of the surrounding civilians are murmuring quietly to each other, some of them nodding seemingly in agreement over what she said. This may have been the next very important step in freeing Onderon.

Of course, when they're getting support is when everything has to promptly fall apart. The Separatists announce the scheduled execution of King Dendup the next afternoon. Being the reckless idiot he is sometimes, Saw promptly takes off to try saving him on his own. Of course, that works out splendidly. Theseus feels a mix of irritation and fond exasperation.

"I really don't think this is a good idea," Ahsoka sighs as Theseus follows her back to their room.

"I don't either," he agrees grimly. Going to openly rescue Dendup like that, especially when that's what the Separatists are expecting, could easily get them all killed. "But it's their choice. I don't know what we can do."

"Me neither," Ahsoka sighs, sinking down onto the bench, "They're have to be the ones to make the decisions, but..."

"Yeah, and their minds are already made up," Theseus agrees, "Come on, let's call our masters."

She nods as she dials the frequency to their comms. They answer almost immediately, and they start giving their nightly update.

"I sense fear in you," Obi-Wan comments.

"The rebels are divided. If they try to rescue the king now, I'm afraid we might lose them," Ahsoka explains.

"If they go through with this, they could easily destroy themselves entirely," Theseus agrees.

"We cannot control their fate," his master reminds.

"I know," he sighs.

"It's just... they're risking so many lives to save one," Ahsoka sighs.

"Do not underestimate the king's power. He represents hope and he's critical their success," Obi-Wan says. True. But that will only make a difference if they don't get themselves complete wiped out in the process of trying to save him.

"I feel responsible for them," Ahsoka admits finally.

"I know you do, Snips," Anakin speaks up at last. He's been quiet almost the entire time. "But remember, purpose must come before feelings."

"Step in only if you must, but remember," Obi-Wan cautions, "If this experiment is to become an effective strategy, they must learn to survive on their own."

***

The next afternoon comes much too quickly. Theseus finds himself standing next to Ahsoka admit the throngs of people here for the execution, though both of them have their hoods pulled up to avoid recognition.