The first window

Ollie's pov age 10

It's summer vacation! For me, at least. Ryley still has to work and today is one of those days that Dani is watching me.

Ryley and Dani have just started dating a few months ago, but I really like her. She's pretty and really nice. I don't mind when she watches me, but I still miss Ryley.

"Ok squirt, Dani is almost here and then I have to leave. Remember what we talked about, be good for her because if she tells me you were bad..." He starts. "You'll spank me when you get home I know. I'll be good Ryley." I finish with a whine. "I know you will be." He smiled at me gently. "She's here!" I yelled, watching her pull into the driveway out the kitchen window.

Ryley opens the door for her and gives Dani a hug. "Hey babe thanks for watching him." Ryley said gently. "He's no trouble, I love hanging out with him." Dani comforted. "Hey bud!" She smiles and waves at me. Ryley turns around and lifts me off the table, I was sitting on it to look out the window. "Dani!" I smile and wiggle away from Ryley to give her a hug. "I missed my little man." She laughed and squeezed me. "I missed you too." I mumbled and let go of the hug. "Alright he shouldn't give you any problems but if he does just ground him to his room until I get back and I'll take care of it. He already had lunch so he should be good until I get back but if he's hungry he knows where the snacks are, or just make him a sandwich or something. Um he can go outside but if he does make sure he brings the shed key back in and don't let him ride his bike, the tire's flat. He is not allowed in my room, he likes to sneak in there and play games but he knows he isn't supposed to be in there," Ryley pauses his rant to glare at me, "if he does something he's not supposed to he'll feel guilty and tell you. He gets worked up easily so just comfort him a little bit and then send him to his room so he doesn't think you're mad at him." Ryley said, smiling at the last bit.

"I got it babe, he'll be fine." Dani laughs at how overprotective he is. "I know, I trust you. I'll be home at 8. I love you both." Ryley said giving Dani a kiss on the cheek then turning to me. "Come give me hugs so I can go." He said and crouched down with open arms. I ran to him and felt myself being picked up. "Behave please. Call me if you need anything." Ryley said, kissing my head. "Remember what I said earlier Oliver, don't make me have to spank you." He whispered to me. I shook my head and whined. "I'll be good." I mumbled into his shoulder. He put me down and grabbed his car keys. "I'll see you later Ollie, be good for Dani." He said and patted my butt as a warning. I squirmed and watched him leave, hopping up on the table to wave while he drove off. He waved back and honked, telling me to get off the table.

"Well bud, we finally got rid of him." Dani teases. "I thought he'd never leave." I laughed back, even though I missed him already. "Can I go outside?" I asked. "Yeah go ahead, but stay in the backyard." Dani nodded. I waved my hand to show that I heard her and walked outside.

I had just started getting really into baseball and I had these things that you throw the ball on and it bounces back. Ryley told me to stop throwing the ball against the house and got me these. I'm not supposed to play outback by myself  because there are a lot of windows and not a lot of space, but Ryley isn't here to tell me no. I took the shed key out of my pocket and unlocked it. I'm supposed to bring the key straight back in so I don't loose it or forget but I'll just put it in my pocket. I dragged out all of my equipment and set the boards up against the house.

I was pitching the ball to myself then trying to catch it with my glove. After a few minutes Dani pokes her head our to check on me. I wave to her and she goes back inside. Not even a minute later, I throw the ball a little too high and straight through the window. I froze, my heart shattered just like the glass. I couldn't move, I barely even noticed I was crying until Dani came towards me. "Hey, hey, hey. It's alright. Are you hurt?" I heard her panicked voice in my ear. She was hugging me and pulling me back to put my face in her hands, checking to see if I was hurt. I felt my knees buckle and then we were on the grass, I was in her lap and she was trying to calm me down. "I-I didn't mean to!" I cried into her shoulder. "Shhh I know. It was an accident it's ok." She comforted, petting my hair. I shook my head and kept crying. "No? It's not ok?" She asked. "Why not?" Dani questioned when I shook my head again. "I- I'm gonna g-get spanked." I cried. "No you're not. Calm down." Dani said gently. I nodded and hiccupped from crying. "Shh here let's go inside and talk okay? You're not in trouble." She said calmly.