Big Brother Duty

Ryley's pov age 8

"You're gonna be a big brother!" Mama gasped, holding a weird stick in her hand. It was a Sunday morning, and I was happily watching Tom and Jerry when I heard her on the phone in the bathroom. She sounded scared, and she kept talking about her tummy aches she gets in the mornings.

The next thing I know, she pulls me into a hug and starts to cry. "Mama?" I asked nervously, not used to seeing her crying. "It's happy tears, baby. You're gonna be a brother." She smiled, cupping my face in her hands.

A what?

"I'm gonna be... a brother?" I repeated. She nodded with a smile. "Oh." I mumbled. "Do you not want a little brother or sister?" She asks. I shrugged. "It's okay, I guess." I mumbled. "Oh, Ry." She chuckled, "I don't know how I'm going to tell Daddy."

•••

"What's this?" Dad asked, looking at the little gift bag mom had set in front of him. "Open it and see." She said, settling back into her seat.

We had just finished dinner when she brought the little bag into the room, and even I'm curious about what's inside. I want a present.

Dad looks into the bag, and his face goes white in shock, pulling out the weird stick from before. Dad looks at it for a second before looking over to mom. "Are you serious?" He asks. Mama nods.

Daddy shoots out of the chair and pulls her into a hug. "Oh, that's awesome! We're having a baby." He laughed.

Why is he so happy over a baby?

•••

"Careful, Ryley!" Dad scolds after I climbed into the hospital bed with Mama. "It's fine, I told him he could come up here." Mama smiled tiredly. My baby brother was lying on her chest, swaddled in blankets with a little hat on his head.

"He's so little." I said, poking at his little fingers. "Mmhmm, you were too once." Dad laughs. "Ryley, it's your job as big brother to protect this little guy for the rest of your lives. Being a brother is a big deal, do you think you can do it?" Dad asked me. Oliver opened his eyes and looked at me, and the decision was made. "I can."

•••

Ryley's pov age 10

"High!" Ollie laughed, kicking his chubby legs widly. "You're already going high." I said, gently pushing him on the "big kid" swing.

He always wants to do what I do. And I finally agreed to let him swing on my swing, as long as he held on super tight!

"More!" He giggled. "No, no more." I denied. He's already going higher than he should be. I stopped pushing and let the swing slow down some, but he started to fuss. "More! High!" He whined. "A little more." I sighed.

I got behind him again to push, but he must not have been holding on super good because one more push and he was on the ground.

Oliver started to cry, and I froze. I don't think the fall hurt, but it definitely scared us both. "Oh, no." I gasped.

I hurt him. I'm gonna be in so much trouble!

The other week, I was playing with him on the floor, letting him "tackle" me before I flipped him over onto his butt. "You hurt him playing too rough like that, and I'll whip you." Dad said firmly, looking over at me while reading the paper. "Yes, sir. I'll be careful." I mumbled. "Good."

And now I just shoved him to the ground!

I went around to the other side of the swing and picked him up off the ground. "Bubby!" He wailed. I tried to shush him but it was too late.

"Why is he crying?" Mama asked from the back door. "He fell off the swing." I answered. She came outside and took Oliver from me. "How can he fall off the swing if it's a seat?" She asked. "He wasn't in the little swing. He was on my swing." I mumbled. "Mmhmm, come inside. No more playing outside today." She said firmly. I nodded and followed her inside.

As I expected, Oliver wasn't actually hurt. That didn't ease the nervous feeling in my belly, however. "Mama, he fell because I was pushing him too high." I confessed. "I told him to hold on good, but I pushed him too hard."

"He's too little to be on that swing, you know that." She scolded gently. I nodded and felt tears well up in my eyes. "It was an accident, Ryley, he's okay." Mama reassured. "I know, but Daddy said if I hurt him, he'll whip me." I whispered. "He's not spanking you for an accident." She tsked.

"But even you said I knew better." I mumbled. "You do. That's why you're not allowed back out today. But you're not getting spanked over an accident." She said gently. I nodded.

Oliver came over to me with a toy car in his hand. "P'ay, Ry." He smiled. I leaned down and picked him up, tickling his belly. He squealed and flooded the house with giggles.

•••

"Your mama told me what happened today." Dad said after sitting me down on the couch. I nodded. "You're not in trouble. It was an accident, and she told me you were real sweet with him after." He added. I nodded again. "I didn't mean to hurt him." I mumbled. "You didn't hurt him. There's not a scratch on him. But if I hear that he's on that swing again, I'll take the whole thing down. Got me?" He asked sternly. "Yes, sir." I nodded. "Good. Gimme a hug." He smiled. I hopped up and shuffled into his arms. Dad let me go with a swat to the bottom that I knew better than to complain about.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

A/n: a super short feel good chapter

This was written for smallvicstories
He inspired me to write this today, even in the midst of my writer's block.

I don't know when I'm updating next, but I do hope you enjoy this tiny blast from the Barley boys' past!

Comments, questions and requests go here >>>

With love,

《Doodle》