Stray Cat

I couldn't just leave her out there! She's only a baby and it was raining!

"Come here little kitty." I cooed softly, reaching out to pet the tiny kitten. She meowed but made no move to get away from me. I gently picked up the small creature, she was the size of my hand. I placed her inside my jacket with me and held her up to my chest to get warm. The kitten started to purr at the warmth from my body heat and I couldn't help but fall in love with her.

I ran home as carefully as I could, but as quick as possible. I wanted to get her inside. I had no idea how I was going to get her past Ryley, but I'll figure it out as I go.

The small creature had gray fur with dark blue eyes, she looked scruffy and dirty. I knew she would need a bath. She was a beautiful cat and I was excited to see her after I get her cleaned up.

I fumbled with the doorknob for a moment before I slinked into the house. I kicked off my wet, and muddy shoes and threw my bookbag off. I tried to run upstairs to my room, key word tried, but a voice made me stop. "Stop. Oliver you're ten minutes later than usual." Ryley said sternly. "Sorry I...I thought if I waited the rain would stop but it didn't." I stammered. "Call me next time and I'll go get you. Take your jacket off and go up to your room Oliver." Ryley ordered. "Why do I have to go to my room?" I asked hesitantly, even though that's where I was going its different to be sent to my room then me just going to my room. "Because Oliver you worried me and I want you to stay in your room today as punishment. If I can't trust you to be where you are supposed to be then I'll make you stay there. I was worried that something happened to you since I had no clue where you were. So go to your room and stay there. At least then I'll know you're safe." He scolded. So much for him letting me keep the cat. "Yes sir."

"Its okay kitty, let's get you cleaned up." I cooed softly, gently picking up the creature and taking her to the bathroom. I grabbed a towel and placed the cat in the sink for a bath. We didn't have any pet shampoo but we had some baby shampoo from a science lab I had to do for school. I ran warm water and placed the kitten in the soapy solution, she angrily meowed and tried to get away. "You're okay." I whispered. I quickly lathered her with the soap and massaged it into her fur, ridding her of fleas and dirt. The water was a murky brown from how dirty she was. I washed her again, to make sure the water ran clear and turns out she wasn't gray! She was a very pretty white cat, she had a little pink nose and pink paw pads. She was adorable! "Okay all done." I said gently, wrapping her in the fluffy towel and lightly drying her off. I laughed when I saw the scruffy cat, fur messy from the towel.

"Oliver you've been in there a while, you alright baby?" Ryley asks gently from the other side of the door. "Huh? Oh yeah I'm ok!" I called back, slightly panicky. I didn't realize I was in the bathroom this long. I quickly grabbed the grumpy kitten burrito and opened the door to leave. Ryley was right outside the door, I didn't noticed until I bumped right into him. "Hmph woah." I groaned. "What is that?" He asks, pointing to the kitten. "A towel." I blurted out. "I can see that, what's in the towel?" He asked sternly. "Its just a towel." I mumbled, trying not to be too obvious about my lie. He gave me that look. The look where he knows I'm lying and I'm about to get in trouble if I don't fess up. I didn't have to confess, just my luck the cat meowed.

"Is that a cat?" He asked, shocked. "Y-yes it is but before you freak out she was alone! I couldn't just leave her out in the rain." I whined, scared that he'd make me put her outside. "Let me see." He ordered. I obliged and unwrapped the kitten. He immediately lifted the small cat into his arms and scratched her ears softly. "Well aren't you just the cutest thing." Ryley cooed softly. "Can we keep her?" I asked hopeful. "Of course we can keep her. Look at her little face." Ryley smiled. I was shocked that I was allowed to keep the cat! "Did you name her?" He asked me, smiling down at the animal. "No I haven't. We can name her together." I smiled.