Blast from the Past

Ryley's pov 18 years old

"Mama, something is wrong. I got this in the mail. It says grandma and grandpa's house is in my name?" I asked, showing her the paper.

"Nothing is wrong, Ry. Your grandma has accused me of being an unfit parent, the court agreed." She said stiffly. "They left the house in your name so you could take Oliver. It was either that or they take him to Florida." She bit, tears beginning to roll down her face.

"Mama." I gasped.

"Am I such a bad mom?" She cried.

"No!" I denied.

"I work too much, and I'm away from the house for too long. Your Nana decided she didn't like it and called child protective services. They're taking him away from me. And here with you is the only way I can see him." She said broken-hearted.

"I'll do it."

•••

"Mama needs some extra help, so I'm taking you to come live with me in Nana's old house." I explained gently.

"Why?" Oliver asked.

"I want to, I can, it will help Mom. There are a lot of reasons." I answered.

"Oh. We'll still see her?" He asked quietly.

"Of course. She'll only be a few minutes away. And this way I won't have to leave you for college, you can come live with me while I do my classes online." I said, trying to convince myself I can do this.

I had already signed the guardianship papers, but I want him to want to live with me.

"Okay." He nodded.

•••

A month later

"Ryley!" Ollie yells, rushing to me.

He had just gotten home from school, and by the tears on his face, I can tell it wasn't a good day.

"What's wrong?" I asked gently when he got to me. He dropped his bookbag to the floor and helped himself to a set on my lap, throwing his arms around my neck.

I held him back, rocking him slightly. Surely, babies and ten tear olds can be comforted the same way.

To my surprise, it actually worked. He pulled his face out of my neck and looked at me with big sad eyes. "They were making f-fun of me on the bus for living with you now!" He cried.

"It's not any of their business who you live with. Don't let them make you feel bad." I tried to comfort, even though my blood was boiling.

I'm eighteen years old, and my brother's legal guardian and these snot rockets think it's okay to make it harder on him?

"They said mom left because she doesn't want me anymore." He sniffled.

"That's not true at all. She loves you and wants what is best for you. And that's being here with me." I said seriously, willing him to believe me.

Mama had cried for days over "losing" him. But as far as I'm concerned, court be damned if she wants to see him, she can see him. She's our mom, I'm just a sad excuse for a backup plan.

"Because of m-my anxiety." He mumbled.

"Not just that, but yes. You need a lot of extra attention, and that's okay. But Mama can't always give you that, but I can." I explained.

"Like how when I do something bad, I get in trouble with you now?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah, baby. Mom needed extra help raising you when we all lived together, too. That's why I started giving you spankings instead." I agreed.