No match for me

Ollie's pov age 9

"Can I go outside?" I asked mom excitedly. It was really warm outside and me and my friend Kyle agreed to ride our bikes today. "Sure, come in when I call for you." She said, glancing up at me from her charts. "I will." I nodded and ran to put my shoes on. I slipped on my sneakers and was out the door.

I rode my bike to the end of the street and went to knock for Kyle. I opened the screen door and knocked before taking a step back, looking at the flowers his mom had planted for the summer. I waited for maybe a minute when his mom opened the door. "Hey Ollie. How are you sweetheart?" She smiles at me. "I'm good, can Kyle play? We were gonna rides bikes today." I asked. "Well give me just one second and I'll ask him. Do you want a juice?" Mrs. Gardner asked. She always gives us kool-aid, the kind in the pouch. "Yes please." I nodded. She nodded and opened the door a little wider for me to step inside. I never go farther then the livingroom, I've never been invited to come over. I'm not sure mama would let me anyway, I've never stayed at anyone's house except Ian's before.

"Here you go." She smiled, handing me a juice. "Thank you ma'am." I said and took it happily. She clutched her chest like I said something really nice and rubbed my arm. "You have such good manners. I'll go grab Kyle now." Mrs. Gardner always comments on my manners. I watched her walk down the hallway a little and go upstairs. I could hear muffled conversation from where I was. I ripped the straw off my juice pouch and stabbed it in, careful not to push it all the way through like I sometimes do. I took a sip while I waited, happy at the flavor she bought this week. Tropical punch is the superior kool-aid pouch.

I was halfway finished with my drink when they came downstairs. "Hey!" Kyle smiles at me. I wave and wait for him to finish tying his shoes, by the time he's ready my drink is completely gone. "I'll throw that away for you dear." His mom offered. "Thank you for the drink." I said and handed the empty pouch to her. "You're very welcome." She answers and takes it for me.

I step outside and a second later Kyle follows me. "Do you wanna just ride around?" He asks. "Sure, but we can play a game if you want to." I shrugged. "I'll race you to the end of the street." He smiles and takes off. "Cheater!" I yelled and sped after him.

•••

We rode around the block a couple of times before we got bored and played cops and robbers. I was the cop.

"Oliver!"

"I'll be back." I said standing up from his yard when my name was called. "Where are you going?" Kyle asked, looking up at me from his laying down position in the grass. "My mom yelled for me I gotta go before she yells again or I'll get in trouble." I answered, dusting the grass off of me. I'll also get in trouble if I bring the outside inside. "Ok hurry back so we can play something else." He mumbled. I nodded and grabbed my bike, racing back towards the house. I notice that Ryley's car is in the driveway, he's back from Connor's. I opened the door and stepped inside, not coming in any further than that because of my play shoes. "There you are, I was about to yell for you again." She said, turning to face me. She was packing things into her purse, I guess she got called into work. "Sorry." I mumbled. "I have to go into work for a little bit." She said, grabbing her work tablet. That's why Ryley is home, she must have made him come back to watch me. "Okay." I said, inching closer to the door to go back outside. "Be good for your brother, he's not happy I made him come home so don't give him any trouble." She warned. Great now he's gonna be mean.

"I won't, I'll be good." I mumbled. "Ryley, I'm leaving." She yells. "Come give me hugs so I can go." She said turning back to me. I slip my shoes off and meet her for a hug. "Love you baby." She mumbles, bending to kiss my cheek. "Love you too." I answered. She smiles at me before yelling for Ryley again. He comes out a minute later, I can tell he's in a mood. "Stop pouting and give your mother a hug." Mom says, teasing him. He rolls his eyes but steps closer and gives her a hug. I turn away, knowing what's about to happen. "Ouch!" Ryley yelped at the swat he was given. "Don't be nasty because I had you come home. You don't roll your eyes at me like that." She scolds him. "Sorry." Ryley mumbled. She huffs and swats him again. "I mean it." She said harshly.