Sticky Fingers

Ian's pov age 13

This is not what I signed up for when I agreed to go to the mall. "Who just sets X-box games out in the open like this?" Trey marvels at the wide selection. "It's some kind of sale, they still have the security tags on it." Oliver shrugged, picking one up. "Imagine how easy these would be to steal. Could just walk right out. Once you get past the door, they can't touch you." Zack laughed.

He's been different recently, but Oliver told me it's just a phase, and he'll be back to normal soon, but I've been keeping my distance.

The others laughed and agreed with him, Ollie even pretending to shove one down his pants. "Hey, that's a good idea! Daddy's boy, why don't you take one?" Zack smirked at me. I sighed. He only calls me that because he doesn't have a dad. I scolded myself for the hateful thought, even if it was true.

"No." I denied, rolling my eyes. "Whipped." He snorts. "Leave him alone." Ollie scoffs. "Of course you'd defend him. You're just as bad as he is." He mumbled. What is so bad about being disciplined and not wanting to steal a damn game?! I'm sick of being made fun of for being a good kid.

"You want me to take it? Fine." I huffed, grabbing a random game off the table and shoving it under my hoodie. "Ian.." Ollie gasped. "Let's go." I ignored him, headed towards the front of the store.

Stupid Zack. Stupid Caleb. Why can't anyone leave me alone?

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*

I froze. The security tag!

"Excuse me, honey, you're gonna have to come up to the register!" The old cashier woman called. My feet wanted to move on their own, to force me into obeying. But I wasn't going to.

"No, thank you." I called back, turning to go out the doors again. If I can get away, I have a straight shot for the food court. "If you step out that door, I'm going to have to call security." She warns, her hand already on the phone.

I took a step forward.

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*

•••

Once security showed up, it's like my brain finally cleared. I was complying again, following them into the store office. "Since you're a kid, I can't touch you, but I'm going to ask you to be honest. Do you have anything on you?" The security officer asked. "Yes, sir." I mumbled, pulling the game out of my shirt.

I handed it over, not even bothering to look at it or the man. He sighed and handed back to the manager that had followed us in there.

"Look, kid, since you gave it back, I'm going to let this go. But I'm going to need to call a parent or guardian to collect you." The manager said, sitting down at her desk and beckoning me forward.

I bit my lip and typed my dad's number into the old phone, clicking the numbers one by one. Once it was ringing, she motioned for me to go back to my seat, and I did. "What's your name?" She asked quietly, waiting for the line to pick up. "Ian Thompson." I replied.

"Hi, this is Mary calling from the Game Stop here at the mall, and I have an Ian Thompson in my office." She spoke.

"Well, sir, he admitted to trying to steal a game but since he was cooperative when security got called we've decided to let him go with a warning, as long as an adult comes to retrieve him."

"Yes, sir, we will see you soon. Mmkay buh-bye."

•••

"Ian Patrick Thompson, what the hell were you thinking?" Dad questioned, barging into the small office. "Dad - " I started, just to get cut off again. "I can't believe you. I raised you better than to steal!" He scolded, voice raising dangerously.