Just this once

Ryley's pov age 16

"Dude, you're coming to my birthday, right?" Drew asked, jumping on my back in the hall. "Hmm, do I know any birthday boys?" I chuckled, pushing him off of me. He's heavy. "Come on, you're not gonna miss this just to be around the dumb kid, are ya?" He asked angrily. My fist clenched. "Don't call my brother dumb. I already said I'd be there." I hissed, walking faster into my class.

"Hey!" Andy smiled at me from our usual seats. "You goin' to Drew's party?" I asked, sitting down next to him. "Probably. Are you gonna manage to get away?" He questioned back. "I'm gonna try to." I muttered when the teacher walked in. "Do ya think your mom will let you?" Connor tapped my shoulder. I shrugged, writing down the assignment on the board. "I'll text her at lunch and see." I mumbled over my shoulder.

•••••

It was lunch time, pizza day. I grabbed my tray of mediocre school food and started to walk to my table. I took my usual spot next to Connor and pulled out my phone. "Cover for me." I mumbled, typing my password. I pulled up my text messages with my mom, sighing as I started typing, thinking of how to word this, so she'll say yes.

11:31 am
To: Mama
Hey mama, my friend is having a party for his birthday and I wanted to know if I could go

"What did she say?" Andy asked, peeking over at my phone. "Dude, I just sent the text." I laughed, pulling it away from him.

11:34 am
New massage: Mama
Who's party?

11:34 am
To: Mama
Drew's

11:35 am
New massage: Mama
Kinda late to be asking about a party that's today

11:35 am
To: Mama
Can I go?

11:37 am
New message: Mama
No

"I can't go." I sighed, turning my phone off."What? Why?" Drew asked, upset at the news. "I don't know, she said no." I shrugged, taking a bite of room temperature pizza. "You told me you would be there." He said angrily. "Yeah? And now I'm telling you I'm not. I'm sorry, man, but my mom said I can't go." I said seriously, starting to get mad that he was mad at me. Its not like I backed out, I'm not allowed to go. "Can't you just sneak out?" He huffed. "No." I huffed back. "Why not?" He asked angrily, raising his voice louder than necessary. "Lay off. He said he couldn't go." Andy said harshly, getting Drew to shut up. "Look, I'll ask her again when I get home." I sighed, starting to walk away.

•••••

"I'm home!" I yelled, kicking my shoes off. I mentally started the count down in my head. 3...2...1... "Ryley!" Ollie yelled, running up to me. I smiled and picked him up, putting him on my hip to let him nuzzle my chest. "Well, you seem just fine now if you can run in the house." Mama gently scolds him. "What do you mean?" I asked, confused. "I had to pick him up from school early, nurse called saying he came in with a stomach ache." She explains, staring at the small boy in my arms. He's usually home before me, so I didn't think anything of it when he ran up to me like he always does. I spared a glance to my little brother too, seeing him peek up at me nervously before hiding his face again.

He's guilty

"Did you lie to Mama and the nurse about not feeling good?" I asked calmly. His head shook. I tapped his butt firmly. "Answer me." I prompted. "N-no." He whispered. "No, you won't answer? Or no you didn't lie?" I asked. I knew what he meant; I just wanted to get him to talk more. "No, I didn't lie." He whined. I was starting to get frustrated. "Look at me." I ordered sternly. My heart melted for a minute when I saw his pouty face looking back at me. I grabbed his chin gently, holding eye contact. "Did you lie?" I put a bit more force into my voice. His lip wobbled, and he started to cry, head nodding. I sighed, letting him hide against me again.