Feverish

A/n: inspired by me being sick and missing school

Ian's pov

We have a math test today, a HUGE math test. I didn't study for it, I get so frustrated even looking at math. I can't stare it for hours trying to understand it, it's like an alien language to me!

So what did I do about my situation? "Daddy!" I yelled from my bed. My dad has just woken me up for school, when I had my master plan. I'm going to fake sick. I rubbed my eyes to make them water and pinched my cheeks to fake a blush. Hopefully I look sick enough that he won't question me. "What is it? Why are you still in bed?" My dad asks, walking back into my room. "I don't feel good." I whined and tried to make myself look miserable. "You do look a little sick baby, let's check your temperature." He said gently, moving to the bathroom to get the thermometer.

You might think this is where I get caught, but I have a plan. He comes back into my room and hands me the thermometer, watching me place it into my mouth. "Daddy can you bring me some water?" I asked, mumbling around the thermometer. "Sure bub, I'll be right back." He smiled and left the room. I quickly took the thermometer out of my mouth and held it against the light bulb for a second, until I heard him coming back up the stairs. I shook it to cool it down a little and placed it back in my mouth just in time. Dad set the water on my bedside table and came over to take the thermometer from me when it beeped. "100.1 you're not going to school today bub." He said, taking the thermometer back to the bathroom.

I smiled a little but made sure he didn't see it. "What about you? You have work." I said quietly, trying to make my voice sound stuffy. "I'll call off. You stay in bed and go back to sleep, I'll come check on you in a little while." He smiled and tucked the blanket around me. I yawned and nodded, already drifting off again.

•••

Ian's Dad's pov
I closed the door and left my son's room, weird. He was fine last night, but maybe it's just a cold or a stomach bug going around. I'm sure that's it.

I went back downstairs and into my office, dialing my boss's number once I was inside. "Hello this is Eugene Thompson and I am calling to let you know I won't be in for work today." I said after my boss's voice answered. "Eugene we are low on staff and I can't pass your case off on someone else last minute. You'll have to be here today." He said sharply. "I understand that Mr. Matthews but my son is sick and I can not leave a twelve year old boy home alone all day." I said, hoping he would understand. "I'll tell you what Mr. Thompson, you come in for the morning and help get Lauren ready to take your case and you can leave around noon. That's the best I can do." He sighed. "That seems doable, I'll be there shortly. Thank you Mr. Matthews." I said greatfuly and ended the call.

Well that's better than nothing. I need to go wake Ian up and tell him I'm leaving for a few hours, hopefully I won't be gone too long. I peak inside his room to see that he's sleeping.

"Ian. Hey buddy wake up for a minute." I gently shook my son awake. He whines and rubs his eyes. "What?" He asked grumpily. I decided to let the attitude go since he was sick. "I have to go to work this morning, I'll only be gone for a little while. Don't go outside while I'm gone." I told him gently. "Oh, okay. When will you be back?" He asked nervously. He hates being home alone. "Around noon, hopefully sooner. You'll be alright and I'll have my phone if you need something." I comforted. Ian reluctantly nodded and I left for work after reminding him that he'll be fine and to stay inside.

Ian's pov

I was only asleep for maybe 20 minutes before dad woke me up telling me he had to go into work. I'm tired and paranoid now that I'm alone.

Well now I'm alone for 4 hours. Maybe this won't be so bad, now I don't have to pretend to be sick all day.

If I was smart I'd study for my math test while he's gone so I can make it up tomorrow, but that's no fun and besides I have plenty of time!