𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐣𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Beep beep beep beep 

"Mom, how are you feeling now?"

She smiled at me but I knew that smile was weak, how could it not be weak, she was under intensive care unit after that tragic accident, I never thought I'd bless the day she would open her eyes.

"Chloe, my dear, I know it was you I hurt the most."

I squeezed her hands to keep her from talking, I needed her now, more than ever, she couldn't Just walk out of my life the same way she walked out 20 years ago. Yes, I know I wanted to wish her away the same way she wished me away the day I was born, but now that I am seeing her like this, NO! NO! NO... I am not going to think about.

"You need to rest mom. It's alright, the doctors are doing their very best to restore your health the way it was. You just need to rest okay."

She smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. I couldn't believe I was this close to losing her, I couldn't believe it just had to happen on the night we had a huge fight. I would have been crushed and beyond heartbroken if anything had happened to her. Thank God she is alive; I don't think I would be able to forgive myself if I lost her. I knew her heart was fragile and unstable, I knew she had so many health conditions but I stubbornly and stupidly had an argument with her over the university of our choice , but mostly my choice. 

"Where is your sister?"

"I am right here mother, I am not going anywhere"

Zoe responded as we both smiled at her, a sad smile obviously because we couldn't bear to see our biological mother in this condition. Yes she wasn't the prefect description of the mother we wanted but still we found a way to see the good in her regardless. They always say. ...Be careful what you wish for, it just might come true... we've made so many wishes about our life, about our mom, about our future, and at this point we couldn't even pinpoint which of the wishes were coming through.

"My Babies..."

She cooed at us struggling to stretch out her hand to touch us. We immediately closed the distance so she could touch us and that brought a smile to her face. If I had known she was going to chase after me and end up running into an incoming vehicle I would have rethought my decision.

"Girls, I need to tell you something."

She said coughing roughly and loudly. We were scared because the monitor of her heartbeat increased its pace before it went back to normal. She smiled at us again breathing in and out through the breathing mask on her face,  Zoe and I were still holding tightly to her hand but not too tightly

"I need to tell you girls something."

She struggled to say in one breath. It was hurting us to see her like this; we didn't know what will happen in the next minute and that alone had us on edge. I really didn't want to lose her atleast not like this. I know I was openly and secretly rubbing it in her face that Mrs Babajide was a better mother than she was but I knew I still needed her. I couldn't afford to lose her atleast not right now; we've already lost our biological father we couldn't afford to lose our biological mother too. Being an orphan is not an option, but it seems like we weren't give a choice here with the way mom was struggling to breath.

"Mom please, enough talking, I am sure whatever you want to say can wait, we need you to get better first."

Zoe said and I agreed with her. Finally at least we were on the same page. Instead of following our advice, she shook her head slowly gathering momentum to speak. The minute we let her say those import words, the beeping of the monitor stopped and so did her breathing.

...
Girls...
No matter the storm that comes your way. Make sure you fight it, fight it off together and as a team.
...