Chapter 11 - Saint and Priest

I sat with Zoe in front of the tall stack of paper. It was time to get to work.

"She's very pretty, but in a cute and innocent way, so eliminate anyone that's not cute."

Zoe took notes as I spoke. It assured me even more of her competence, and I began listing off everything I could remember."

"I don't know her current name... but look for anything close to 'Catherine', or maybe 'Cat'."

"Her hair is a very specific shade of blonde, like golden sunlight. Her eyes are green like sparkling emeralds."

"Um... she's extremely kind and optimistic and sweet. And quirky. She can do no wrong and everyone just loves her. Basically, she's not like other girls. Wait, she obviously wouldn't be like other aristocratic ladies, because she was raised as a commoner."

Why was she just the living embodiment of stupid tropes? What kind of horrible author wrote this? They should've been more considerate of any potential reincarnators. Ugh, whatever.

"I'm nine, so she should be eight right now. The carriage accident took place when she was really young, but she somehow found her way from a forest to an orphanage, so I'm assuming she was at least one. Yes, that's it, if I remember correctly."

"I don't know what forest it was, and it is odd that the baron just stumbled onto her when visiting the count. I mean, it's not surprising since the baroness had taken the same road for her visit to the countess, but still. So, the orphanage should be along the road from Barony of Bryant to the County of Newfield."

I fell silent for a moment as Zoe scribbled her notes. She lifted her head.

"If I may ask, my lady, are you perhaps looking for Lady Catherine Bryant, the lost daughter of Baron Bryant?"

"Yes."

"Thank you, my lady. I will take that into account."

She nodded and waited for me to begin again. It was a display of professionalism that she did not inquire how I knew some of the information. She knew when to not ask questions, though I had almost hoped she would, so that I could put into effect another idea I had, but I supposed it might be better to save it for when I fully develop a plan. Yet, she did not hesitate to ask for confirmation on information that could help her in her task of assisting me.

Serving a noble well was a difficult task, and this girl had mastered the art completely.

"Oh, and there's this boy as well."

The classic childhood best friend. Considerate, caring, kind, and arguably the best option realistically. Eternally stuck in the friend-zone, because the female lead could only see him as a brother.

"His name is Nathaniel Seaton. He's the same age as Catherine, with soft brown hair and warm hazel eyes. He's just as kind, with strong divine powers."

"His parents were merchants that died in an epidemic, and he ended up at the same orphanage as Catherine. He spent several years becoming close with her before the temple discovered his divine powers and took him in when he was eight. Wait, that's this year."

That was excellent! If I could get to him before or soon after the temple did, perhaps I could get Father to take him in as a ward. We had a private chapel with a priest who could use an apprentice, and a library with a large collection of old religious texts in need of translation. He would become the youngest high priest in the history of Orilon, and the power that could bring our family was unthinkable. We would truly be able to rival the royal family at last.

"If we can find him, we'll be able to find the girl. But I suppose the information right now wouldn't contain this, so I'll tell the knights next time. Pay attention to any that are closely affiliated with the temple."

That was all I could remember at the moment, and recalling memories from my past life gave me a light headache. Zoe looked up again.

"If you're ready, start sorting through them. I want a refined list as soon as possible."

"Yes, my lady."

The maid began, working at an alarming rate. I yawned, and went on as usual. The tower of papers was almost intimidating, so I didn't expect her to get them done quickly.

My eyes widened as she handed me a list of names three days later.

"These here are the ones that fit the description perfectly, and these ones fit most of them. The ones with stars next to them mean that some information wasn't specified. I apologize, my lady, for taking so long."

"No, no! It's wonderful. Here, take this hairpin."

I grabbed the nearest small trinket I could find, which was a small pearl hairpin.

"You've done well."

"Thank you, my lady. But I can not accept this, I was merely doing my job."

"Good point."

I saw Tia peeking from behind the door, so I waved her in. She flushed and curtsied clumsily when she reached me.

"I'm so sorry, my lady! I didn't mean to spy!"

"It's fine. Take the pin, think of it as a gift from me or Zoe. Try to be more like her."

It was important I kept her close to me. As of right now, small tokens of affection ought to do. I really hoped Zoe could teach her to be a better maid.

Tia gushed and fell to her knees, thanking me repeatedly. This level of ass-kissing could only be achieved by the maid of the heroine, and I was impressed. She had the potential of becoming a good maid.

Zoe looked on, her expression blank, but her head slightly tilted as if in interest. She would be loyal to me regardless, so I didn't particularly care what she thought. I waved dismissively to Tia's gratitude and stood up.

I wanted to send the knights on their way as soon as possible. This time, they better bring back something useful. The fate of the grand duchy depended on it.