Chapter 100 - Confessions (I)

November came, bringing my brother's birthday. He was turning twenty, and I hoped that it would not be his last year of life.

We held a masquerade ball, lavish and magnificent. Damian's costume was that of a swashbuckling pirate, handsome and dashing. He'd shown it to me as soon as it'd been made, like an excited child. My outfit resembled a proud and gorgeous peacock, with a dress of rich green, feathers, and sparkling jewels. I entered the ballroom with Oscar, who was dressed in the dramatic but tasteful uniform of a Holy Warrior, from centuries ago.

To my displeasure, I saw Catherine by Damian's side. She dressed as a swan, with a puffy white dress and finely crafted wings. It suited her better than anything else she'd worn before, almost like it would've been, in the novel, and the very notion made my blood run cold. Damian must've sent it to her, for she could not have had such good taste. No matter, I would bring my brother back to my side.

"Happy birthday, Damian."

"Thank you, Val. You're as beautiful as ever, and I must tell you again what pride it is to have you as my sister."

There was something different about his smile. Though it was as charming and endearing as it always had been, his eyes had lost that crazed passion, and towards me, it almost felt slightly guilty. While I'd been wishing that would happen, I did not like it one bit when I saw it reborn in his gaze towards Catherine.

"Then, will you do me the honour of letting me have your first dance of twenty?"

"Of course."

His willingness did not fool me, for I felt his grip on my hand tighten as Kyle came to sweep Catherine away, as per my instructions. As for Oscar, I left him safely with Annalise, who was dressed as a beautiful monarch butterfly. The music began.

"It has been a while since we have danced," I noted.

"Indeed. You're much occupied with your fiance, and so I've had to find other sources of entertainment. I do not think I have done too badly for myself."

Did he blame me for spending too much time with Oscar? Yet I had been careful not to neglect his letters, even as I fully enjoyed the consequences of my improved relationship with the crown prince. Suddenly, I realized that I had also appreciated the decreased frequency of his letters, and cursed myself for not noticing earlier. I must be firm.

"Don't you? Curious, for I believe the opposite. I see that you have not taken my advice regarding Lady Catherine."

"I warned you, my sweet Val. If you do not wish to stay by me for eternity, I must make other arrangements. Besides, I find her to be quite innocent and simple, very much unlike some ladies that we know. It is deeply refreshing."

"I do not want you to sink this low merely for my attention. When you are with her, do you not crave more intelligent company? More sophistication and depth of mind?"

"Why would I do that, when I've been surrounded by so-called sophistication my whole life? I am tired of it, tired of these games I used to be so fond of. Now I see the pretentiousness of it all, masks and lies and horrid vanity disguised as manners. It is very fortunate that I found Lady Catherine in my childishly selfish attempt to tie you to me. Her pure naivety and untainted compassion are my only desires. It is not for your sake I pursue her now, Val, but for my own."

No. No, that couldn't be true. The obsession I'd so carefully built up within him, the delicate balance to make sure he never lost interest nor went overboard, all gone within an instant? My years of devotion, tolerance, and concern, wasted? I refused to believe it.

"You jest."

"I do not."

I'd learned long ago of the unpredictability of mad mages. Though the object of their obsession typically did not change, when it did, it could happen in the blink of an eye. Yet even from the day I first grasped that knowledge, I did not think that it could happen to me. He was so attached, from the time I first put my plan into motion, to just a few weeks ago. It would've been fine if he pursued Catherine to any degree, if his ultimate goal was to annoy me, but it was not fine for him to actually be obsessed with her.