Chapter 70 - True Saint (II)

How nice it was to be a good person!

Sure, one had to gush and pretend one gave a shit about all the poor suffering people, but one was also the center of attention. I loved and enjoyed every bit of the spotlight, the admiration, and the worship, so devout and fervid that it often really touched my heart.

Public speeches were nice because I could have large crowds of peasants adoring me like faithful fools, but charity luncheons were also pleasant, with flattering nobles and wannabe members of high society more than generous and willing to empty their wallets for my favour. However, luncheons brought in far more money, so I hosted them as often as I could. And to add to the authentic holy saint experience, I even always brought along a priest.

"Oh, Mikhail? How was Nathaniel?"

My knight bowed after he slipped into my room and closed the door. The sight of his pretty face, so serene and confident, relieved some of the anxiety I'd felt since I heard about the unfortunate reunion between two childhood friends.

"He's unharmed, my lady. It seems he did not get far in reacquainting with Lady Catherine, though he is rather upset about the dismissal of his maid."

I shook my head and gave a laugh. So typical of Nathaniel, to be worried over some servant!

"Never mind that. How was he going out? The secret passage in the chapel's library?"

"Yes, my lady. The maid confessed. He's been using it for a few years, once every month."

"With his monthly allowance. Tsk, how annoying."

Nathaniel had started spending his allowance on the slums almost as soon as he came here, and I had specifically told him to stop doing that. After all, how much could he do with that meager amount, compared to what I could bring in with his help focused on fundraisers? He had agreed without protest, and yet here he was, lying to my face. I drummed a finger on the desk.

It was a little bad. He had reunited with Catherine, though their relationship was far more shallow than what the lifelong devotion of unrequited love could've been, and I was proud of that. While it was crucial that I prevent anything between them from growing, honestly, I wasn't that worried. Long ago, I had accepted that Nathaniel was gentle and mild, but also weak.

I would talk with him, but I doubted it was a big deal. After all, without me, he was nothing.

- - -

Nathaniel ascended the carriage. It never ceased to feel like a death procession, with Lady Valentina as his executioner, to another cruel puppet show for her to show off. She sat there now, decked with jewellery in a beautiful dress that could've fed a whole village for a week. Sparing him a condescending glance as the carriage started, she smiled.

"Hello, Nathaniel. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Thank you for your concern, Your Holiness."

His voice was quiet and mild, as usual. The solution he'd decided on long ago, after giving up on the supposed saint, was to speak as little as possible to avoid being disrespectful. No matter what, he must be grateful to her for what she'd done for him, whatever her intentions may be.

"You're very welcome, though I do wish you would be less formal with me. Now, I heard you were going out?"

Perhaps she didn't keep up pretenses because she knew he'd seen through her. Nathaniel was grateful to shorten the suspense before his suffering.

"I'm sorry. I won't do it again."

"It's fine, Nathaniel. I merely want to know why. Haven't I made it clear how much more you can do by helping me?"