Chapter 105 - In Sickness and In Health (II)

As the Bryant mansion had been completely locked down, Zoe hadn't received any updates from our eyes on the inside for the past week. There really was no need for such measures, as I had made sure with Sophia, this strain of the disease was so uninfectious that there hadn't been any naturally spread cases yet, and the few bodies that had been discovered in the slums had only been planted to make the outbreak seem more authentic. However, no one knew that, and the recent infection of Baron Bryant made people even more scared.

In reality, Catherine and the baron had both been infected by directly consuming the virus, which had been added to their food. The maid who did it had been given the most successful of Sophia's prototype vaccines, and given that we hadn't heard of anything, it appeared to have worked decently. Truthfully, there was no strategic reason for infecting the baron, for I couldn't kill him, as it risked Catherine being so heartbroken that she awakened her powers. I'd ordered it out of pure spite, and to arouse more fear, so I could be more saintly.

The time finally came to admire my handiwork! I was blessed countless times and wore my strongest amulets, just in case, and Nathaniel imbued into me enough holy power for a good blessing, in case Catherine was awake enough to feel it. He asked to visit her, but I refused, wishing to limit their interactions as much as possible. I arrived at the Bryant mansion feeling gleefully smug, seeing the place surrounded by holy knights.

"Val! Thank god you're finally here. Tell them to let me in!"

While Damian was still ridiculously handsome in a ragged way, it was clear he hadn't had proper rest for some time. His purple eyes were bloodshot and hazy, and he kept yawning. I'd heard that he'd been here since he heard of Catherine's illness, and I'd wanted to leave him here to suffer for his betrayal, and to see how long he'd wait. I was not pleased with the result.

"Why are you disgracing our family in such a manner, Damian? Go home and take care of yourself."

"I will not, unless you promise to deliver a gift for me. I would ask for you to make them allow me to see her, and I know I did just that, but now I fear that's too much to ask for when I previously swore not to inconvenience you, unless you would spare me the greatest kindness and do it willingly. Alas, it is cruel for any place to be so shrouded in holiness!"

A part of his dishevelment must've been caused by how the divinity nullified his magic charms. Any other place, and he could've forced his way in with magic, and I knew if he really wanted to, he still could've, at the expense of his remaining sanity. I did not want to push him that far.

"I agree only to your first request. What do you wish to deliver?"

He grinned, his eyes barely staying open, and dropped into my outstretched palm an ornate golden locket.

"It's her birthday, you know."

"What a coincidence."

Of course I knew. Dramatically speaking, it was why I chose today as the date of my visit. In the novel, she had a ball and Damian gave her a necklace with a protection charm, and she danced with both him and my fiance. Obviously, that was not happening.

Suddenly, Damian leaned in close, his smile oddly twisted.

"Was this your engagement present for me, my sweet Val? While I'm touched you care about me so much, do know that it isn't enough to make me give up. I'll have her, just you see!"

I pushed him away. "You're delirious. Go home. I've told Mother and Father about your ridiculous proposal, and they would very much like to speak to you about not bringing shame to House Avington."

His eyes widened and he groaned. I ordered my couchman to drive him home and to see him delivered to Mother and Father. As my carriage departed, with my brother already half asleep in it, I entered the Bryant mansion.

A priest showed me to Catherine's room. He seemed to hesitate in letting me in, but did so eventually, with suspicious reluctance. The room was empty, except for a small figure laying in bed, and a horribly familiar individual sitting next to her.

"Your Highness. What a surprise."

Oscar looked up. Around his neck was the amulet I'd given him, as strong as my own. His countenance was normal and inexpressive as usual, like he saw nothing wrong with him being here.

He rose and headed towards the balcony. "Let us talk outside, so as to not disturb her."

I followed, the cold winter air not doing anything to calm my rising temper. As soon as the balcony doors were closed, I started.

"Why in the world would you be here? She may infect you, and you may die, and all of Orilon will be thrown into chaos. You claim to hold affections for me, and yet I find you alone with another girl, in her bedchamber. I find that you at least have the dignity to keep it quiet, but that does not excuse the act itself. Offer me an explanation now, or I shall condemn you in the name of God for your immorality."

"It is quite simple," he said, coolly meeting my furious gaze. "A smallpox outbreak is what truly puts the kingdom at risk, not the death of one individual, though I daresay it is rather different for you."

A shiver ran down my spine, as if he was leaving some things unsaid, but it was all right. There was no evidence, and if he wanted to expose me or to annul our engagement, he would've done it a long time ago. For political reasons, he could not.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. This was unfortunate, yes, but everything is now under control. You have no need to worry."

"Yet I have the liberty to do so, and I will, on behalf of Orilon, for its general wellbeing. I have been visiting Lady Catherine everyday since the beginning of her illness, and I will continue to do so until she recovers consciousness enough to be aware of her surroundings, if only to evaluate the extent of this outbreak for myself."

"Very well, then! You have my utmost disapproval. Now, if you'll excuse me, I shall go and pray for Lady Catherine's recovery. If you really trusted my capacities as the saint, then you would be assured that there is no danger to this situation in the slightest."

I stalked back in without waiting for a response and pulled the curtains over the glass doors, blocking out the offensively bright sunlight. Catherine slept through it all, a sad frown on her little face, now hideously covered with scars and scabs. My barely contained rage shifted into a vindictive satisfaction. I longed to take a dagger and to drive it into her chest, to end her miserable being for one and for all, but knowing that I could not, the ugly sight was enough for now.

I took out the locket Damian had given me and opened it. One side contained a portrait of himself, at his best, and the other side was an imaginary Catherine. In it, she was at her full potential for beauty, an innocent, sweet, and pure kind, with a warm and freely bright smile. That must've been how she looked in the novel, but she would never look like that in this world. I dropped the locket onto her bedside table and sat next to her, and began to pray.

'I wish you'd never existed. I wish you'd leave us be. I wish you'd die without any fuss.'

These words were uttered silently. Aloud, I recited a hearty prayer, so emphatic that she opened her eyes slightly at one point.

"L-Lady Valentina...?" The little idiot smiled, her voice scratch and barely audible. "T-thank you for v-visiting me..."

I smiled at her foolishness and told her I hoped she would get better soon.

Even if she did, her scars would make her social life horrid, not to mention the newly revealed fact of her infertility, blamed on the smallpox and malnutrition but in reality caused by the slow poisons she'd been fed, which would render her an undesirable bride to any sensible gentleman. Seriously speaking, she was no longer a significant threat.

Yet as she fell back to sleep, and I opened the balcony door to let Oscar back in, and saw his distant expression, staring at nothing but pondering everything, I made a decision. I'd already come so far, so I might as well commit to the end.

I would drive her out completely.