Chapter 36 - My Brother Returns

It was a clear and bright day, not too cold. I walked up and down the path in the garden leading up to the royal castle, looking closely at the main road.

The street was busy with carriages, pedestrians, and riders, given that it was a busy avenue. I stayed a safe distance away from the gate, but close enough that I could see anyone that came through. I didn't like getting close to carriages when I wasn't riding one, likely because of how I died in my last life.

"My lady, you asked me to force you to go back to studying if you stayed out too long."

"Yes, but these are special circumstances. Damian's coming back today, remember?"

"Yes, my lady, but His Lordship isn't estimated to arrive until after sunset, and it's barely noon."

"Well, whatever! I've worked hard lately. Be quiet, Zoe."

"Yes, my lady."

I half-wished she would keep trying to persuade me, but she was obedient, as expected. Perhaps I should've brought Tia, but I was also half-glad I didn't.

I tried to convince myself that I was being productive by studying the guards' positions, but a bird distracted me and I was soon watching it trying to fight a cat. If I really wanted to study the guards' layout, I would ask Father. I probably should, someday.

Right now, though, If I had to read one more word about the suffering of poor orphans, I would order my knights to dig up the author's grave and rip his body apart. It may be a classic novel, but from the limited memories of my commoner past life, it was completely unrealistic in its portrayal of peasants, obviously written by someone who had never had to work their entire life.

Ah, if only Damian was here, and we could make fun of it together. The day had never seemed this long...

"Val!"

I turned at what was unquestionably my brother's voice. My eyes widened.

Damian stood beside a carriage next to the gate, waving at me. All my longing that I hadn't even realized rushed back to me, and I took off running, leaping into his arms. It was truly him!

"I missed you so much."

I buried my head in his chest and hugged him tightly, taking in his familiar scent like it was home. He laughed and stroked my hair gently.

"I missed you too, sweet Val."

After a while, I reluctantly let him go and took a step back to study him.

"You've gotten skinnier. Didn't you eat at the academy?"

"And you, my dear sister, have become a piggy."

"Better than a skeleton."

We both giggled, and I felt fulfilled. How long had it been, since we laughed together like this?

"Lord Damian was too focused on his magic to eat properly, and I had to feed him sometimes."

A boy about Damian's age stepped out of the carriage, grinning. By his clothes and posture, I could tell that he was a noble, but not an important one.

"I'm Lord Kyle Whittle, Viscount Whittle's son. Nice to meet you."

He kissed my hand politely while Damian stared daggers at him. Kyle had a plain face with brown hair and blue eyes, but he appeared to be a well-bred and proper mannered noble.

"I'm Lady Valentina Avington, daughter of Grand Duke Avington. Good morning."

"Yeah, Damian wouldn't stop talking about you."