Chapter 73 - The Prince's Banquet (I)

Royal birthdays were always grand affairs. April slipped into May, and to celebrate the crown prince turning nineteen, a banquet was being held.

In the novel, Catherine talked and grew closer with Damian during the feast, arousing jealousy in the prince that he couldn't understand, which set him up to try and approach her in the next event, the hunting competition. What better way to prevent this all than to make sure she didn't attend?

Lady Bryant had been more than willing to carry out my request.

"Of course, a creature as lowly as she oughtn't have been invited in the first place. Rest assured, Lady Valentina. Even if I have to keep the whole family home, she won't be allowed to go and embarrass us! I certainly won't be seen with her in public!"

Knowing how much my friend valued our relationship and her reputation, I trusted that the matter would be settled. Thus, I went to the banquet prepared to thoroughly enjoy myself with my fiance and excellent food.

At the castle, I separated from Mother and Father as I was going to sit at the head table with the royal family, given my position as Oscar's fiancee. A maid brought me to a sitting room, where my future in-laws were already waiting.

"Good evening, Lady Valentina."

"Oh, who invited this bitch?"

"Watch your language, Elizabeth. I apologize, Lady Valentina, that my daughter is so direct with her thoughts."

"Lady Valentina, it's nice to see you."

Oscar was cool and reserved, Elizabeth was a disgrace to society, Queen Josephine was slyly venomous, and King Henry's shrewd intellect glinted behind an amiable expression. In short, all was as usual. I shone with my brightest smile and greeted the only people in the kingdom more powerful than me, thinking of the day I would take their place.

Elizabeth monopolized Oscar, telling him all about her latest horrific acts and growling whenever she glanced at me, obviously intent on keeping us apart. I took the opportunity to have a pleasant conversation with King Henry about the latest developments in the agriculture industry, showing off my intelligence and what a great queen I would be. Soon, we were informed the guests had finished arriving, and went to make our dramatic entrance in the great hall.

"His Highness, Prince Oscar! His Majesty, King Henry! Her Majesty, Queen Josephine! Her Highness, Princess Elizabeth! Her Ladyship, Lady Valentina Avington!"

Even if it weren't as huge as last year's festival, when the crown prince came of age, it was still easily one of the most significant events of the year, and every important member of high society was there. They sat around two long tables and as we entered, they all stood and bowed or curtsied. I felt a rush of thrill as we passed the humbly lowered faces on our way to the head table at the front.

My fiance, as the guest of honour, sat in the middle. The king sat to his right and the queen to his left. Elizabeth was on the other side of the king, leaving me next to my future mother-in-law. We exchanged demure smiles as everyone sat down, silently agreeing to save the battle until after the speeches.

Oscar stood. He really looked very handsome, and I swelled in pride and other odd feelings better left unnamed until I was sure they were reciprocated.

"I want to thank you all for attending this celebration today. In the period recently passed, my nineteenth year and first season of adulthood, I've been constantly learning in my hopes to one day become a suitable king for our glorious nation. It was an enlightening time, and I believe I have matured as a person and a leader. Thank you for allowing me this journey."

He paused and glanced over the room, as if he was searching for someone. It was barely noticeable, but after spending years with him, I could tell. Though I knew Catherine wasn't there, my heart still skipped a beat. Much to my relief, he continued.