Chapter 53 - The Last Day (II)

My brother was the most eligible bachelor and the most notorious playboy in the kingdom. He was the handsome and charming son of the grand duke, the brother to the saint, and the strongest mage in history, leaving a trail of broken hearts wherever he went.

As a young man of nineteen, he had moved out of our mansion and into a tower in the Royal Institute for Magic Research after graduating the academy. The place was like a university or laboratory from my past life, an open community where the best mages learned, taught students, and conducted research. Despite the name, it wasn't very associated with the royal family, and was funded through various sources, House Avington being a great contributor.

Damian was technically a student there working towards his Fifth Class credentials, the equivalent of a PhD, having earned his other degrees earlier. However, he was also one of their top researchers, and spent most of his time locked and experimenting in his tower with Kyle, who had become his assistant.

"We're here, my lady."

My carriage pulled up in front of a new restaurant for high society. Damian and I saw each other as often as we could, writing letters to each other daily, and today we were having lunch together. In the worst case scenario, it could be the last time we spend in peace for a while.

My personal knight, Mikhail, who had announced to me our arrival, opened the carriage door. Normally, he would escort me, but before he could extend a hand, Damian glided in from the sky, stepping on air and landing softly in front of me. He smiled and hugged me.

"Aww, my adorable little sister. You get prettier every time I see you."

"Of course I do. Nice entrance, by the way. Shall we?"

He let go of me and offered an arm. I took it, and we strode inside, where we were seated next to a window overlooking a beautiful canal. We erupted into conversation, like always.

"How are Mother and Father? Say hello to them for me, won't you?"

"They're good, and I will. What about you? Which new unlucky girl are you courting?"

"I'm insulted! No one, if you must know. Kyle and I are close to a big discovery, but I do have a line waiting for when I'm done."

Alas, such was fate. Damian was workaholic enough to just happen to be single when he would meet Catherine right after his big discovery. I sighed.

"I doubt any of them is as good as Delilah."

"That's too bad, then."

Damian wasn't interested in talking about Delilah, and that had been the problem. A few years ago, she had convinced her mother to discuss a possible betrothal with Father, only to be firmly rejected by Damian, who had said he was uninterested in an engagement of any kind.

Being the perfect lady, Delilah took it well on the outside. However, she avoided him like her life depended on it, and was absolutely cold to him whenever they met, outside of required politeness. He didn't think much of it and treated her with his usual flattery, which I thought only wounded her more, her pride and heart.

I could see why so many fell in love with my brother. Like me, no matter what angle one looked at, he was the definition of beauty. Pale blonde hair carelessly yet elegant falling in front of his face, and those enchanting purple eyes. His personality, flirtatious but endearing and utterly bewitching, and cutely workaholic. I was proud of him, and to be his sister.

"You know, I don't care how many girls you have. As long as you're loyal to me, right?"

"My dear, dear, Val. How are you still questioning that?"