Chapter 17 - Hunting with Father (I)

In this world of limited entertainment, Father's greatest hobby was hunting. And as all parents did, he longed to have a child to partake in it with. Damian held no interest in physical activities, and I hadn't either, before I started taking pistol lessons.

When Father heard the news, he was ecstatic.

"I have to take you hunting!"

Mother had to remind him that I was only starting to learn it, and he reluctantly agreed to put off a hunting trip for a while.

Surprisingly, I found shooting rather fun. It wasn't as tiring as sports, and I was doing decently well. In fact, it was rather thrilling, and I had a rush of exhilaration whenever I held a pistol.

I agreed to go hunting with Father, now that I'd taken lessons for a bit over a month. There was a forest close to our estate, and we took a carriage. Since this was my first time, we were only going after small critters, so we weren't riding horses. I already couldn't wait until I was experienced enough to go after large animals, and the thought of being able to take down a bear or a lion excited me.

"I'm really glad that you've started shooting, Valentina."

Father sat across from me, smiling. He wore a handsome hunting suit, and I wore a matching but smaller one. I fidgeted with the buttons and grinned back.

"Me too, Father. It's so enjoyable!"

He beamed, like he was pleased with me. A chill creeped into my heart, because I didn't think I had ever seen my dad from my past life look at me like that. I banished that thought as Father continued, deciding to focus on the present for such a nice day.

"And I'm happy in general that you've taken an interest in your studies."

"Thank you. I'm going to accomplish great things."

"I know you will, my angel. But have you considered becoming the heir?"

This question shocked me and I couldn't speak for a moment. The thought might have crossed my mind briefly, but I had never considered it seriously.

Normally, the eldest child was the heir, but Damian was obviously uninterested in ruling and would much prefer to dedicate himself to studying magic. Though it was uncommon, cases like this did exist, and it was acceptable for a younger child to be the successor instead.

"I only barely managed to convince your brother to take successor lessons at the academy, and the compromise was that he won't have to anymore after he becomes a Fourth Class mage. I give that a few years, at most."

Damian was a genius mage, by all means. It would actually be a waste of his talents if he were to have to manage the grand duchy. I hung on Father's every word.

"House Avington needs an heir, and it won't be good for your mother's health to have another child. It would truly be excellent if you can do it, and I believe that you can do great."

My dad from my past life had never said anything like that, and Father's confidence in me touched a part of my heart I didn't know existed. He must have thought this decision over for a long time, that was why Sir Williams had said that I was the future of the grand duchy, and what Mother held back in the tunnels. And the conclusion he reached was that I was worthy.

In the novel, this problem was never mentioned, since House Avington fell. I had always associated ruling with hard work and responsibility, like the difficult lessons Delilah had to take. However, if I were to be queen, I would still have duties. Besides, if I were to be Grand Duchess, wouldn't it make me a more appealing partner for the crown prince?

No one except myself had ever believed that I was capable of great achievements. My parents from my past life had always prepared for the worst so I wouldn't disappoint them, and though Mother and Father never said anything, I sometimes felt that I was a bit underachieving compared to Damian. This was my chance, my first time having power.

"I'll do it."

Father looked delighted. He leaned in and ruffled my hair, chuckling.

"I knew you had it in you! Come on, we're here. Let's talk more on the way back."

The carriage came to a stop and we stepped out. I drew my pistol and Father took out his rifle.

We were going hunting.

I had no idea what I was doing, but Father helped guide me. We strode through the forest, making our way to a spot he knew. He pushed aside branches, making a slightly easier path for me, though sticks and leaves still poked me. Birds chirped overhead.

In the calme, I suddenly remembered something. If I were going to be successor, I would have to start paying closer attention to politics and the grand duchy's affairs.

"Mother said there were royal guards at the mine."

Father's back was turned to me so I couldn't see his face, but I thought he tensed.

"Yes. We think the royal family may have known about the mine and sent them there to prevent others from discovering it."

So my suspicions were confirmed. My stomach dropped.

"What does it mean?"

"They're becoming wary, and they want to hide their true strength. Or, they could use it as a bargaining chip for secret transactions, or use it manipulate court. Don't worry, it's normal. We have backup as well."

I doubted our backup was as much as a diamond mine, but at least I managed to take that from the royal family. I felt a swell of pride, and was going to inquire further, but Father turned.

"Shh."

His expression had changed. It was unlike his usual kindness or the cold mask he wore for court, but instead possessed an almost child-like enthusiasm, with a fire in his eyes. He motioned for me to be quiet and take my place next to him, in the bushes next to a clearing.

We waited in silence, until we blended into nature. Although it got a bit boring, every sound made me start, and I held my breath in suspense. The wind crinkled leaves, but were those steps I heard?

A small deer gracefully hopped into the clearing. It bleated happily and began nibbling on the leaves of a tree nearby. My heart nearly leaped from my chest and my breathing quickened.

I looked to Father. He was glaring at the deer, then quickly glanced at me with a swing of his head, his message clear as day.

I aimed my pistol towards the vitals, just as he'd taught me to earlier. The deer wasn't moving as it ate, so I would have a good shot. I shouldn't hesitate, but I did.

It was so small, it couldn't have been more than a child. What if it had feelings? What if its parents were going to look for it, and search for their baby all night, not knowing it was dead? My hands shook slightly. It was like I was the driver of the car that killed me in my past life, though the circumstances were completely different.

Suddenly, the wind changed direction. The deer lifted its head, alert. It began snorting and stomping its hoofs, which couldn't have been a good sign. It was now or never, so I swallowed and pressed the trigger.

The loud bang sounded through the forest, yet it was too late. There were spots of red, but the deer was already fleeing. I had failed.

Father sighed and got up from his crouching position. I followed him to where the deer had been eating before it ran. Blood drops were splattered on the grass, bright red against the green.

I looked to Father, holding my breath. Ever since I became conscious of my past life, it was like some fear had been instilled into me. I prepared for a reprimand I knew wasn't coming, but some part of me couldn't help but be scared.

Father patted my head, smiling kindly.

"You hit it! That's great for your first try. It won't get far now it's injured, so we might come across it again later. Let's try another spot, all right?"

"Yes, Father!"

We headed into the trees again. Next time, I definitely wouldn't hesitate!