Chapter 26 - A Princess's Invitation

Each morning and throughout the day, Zoe and Tia deposited letters and invitations on my table. Zoe knew how to sort them by importance and which ones I would likely accept, and Tia was also learning.

"My lady! There's an invitation from the princess!"

I raised my head from my books immediately. Tia was waving a sheet of paper excitedly, her eyes wide. She was slowly memorizing each family's crest, but everyone knew the royal family's symbol, a roaring lion.

"Give it."

I scowled as I snatched the invitation from her hands, and the disgusting yet unfortunately familiar handwriting greeted me.

I was asked to attend a lovely tea party, tomorrow afternoon. It would be like a soldier going to war, fighting against my mortal enemy in another battle.

"Come, Tia. I have to prepare right away."

What dress to wear? The most elaborate one, of course, to demonstrate our wealth and power. There was no need for modesty here, our relationship was already ruined beyond repair. The only purpose of attending was to absolutely crush her.

What jewels to wear? The most expensives and shiny ones, and as many as I could. The more she despised my apparent shallowness, the more I was going to rub it in her face.

When to get there? Fashionably late, as always, to assert dominance.

What to do there? Insult everyone, and destroy Her Highness until she dies of shame.

"My lady, your face looks so scary!"

"Shut up."

Wait a minute... That was what I would like to do, what I did everytime. If something was fun, it was likely not the proper thing to do. Oh, no.

Plainly speaking, I would rather kill myself than tolerate Princess Elizabeth, my one sworn nemesis. She wouldn't buy it anyways, so it should be fine, right?

Ah, whatever! After all, she was just one person. If needed, I could improve my reputation with every single other noble, one exception won't make a difference.

Now, what shoes should I wear? I should consult Mother on the best overall outfit...

When I went to bed that night, I was completely satisfied. I had plotted with Mother to design the perfect look, to completely embarrass the princess tomorrow. It was going to be the most fun I had in a great while.

"My lady, why do you dislike the princess?"

"None of your business. One more word, and I'm taking Zoe tomorrow."

"Sorry, my lady."

My relationship with Princess Elizabeth Stoneshire was a long story, starting when we were both toddlers, with me pouring a hot cup of tea onto her head, her slapping me, and the resulting brawl. In my defense, no one had ever dared to slap me before, and though I couldn't remember what it exactly was, I was sure the princess had deserved the burns she got.

In addition, she was the only girl of a higher rank than me. Her followers, who normally never had the courage to oppose me, all became ridiculously brave with her backing them. Besides that, her animosity towards femininity was sickening, in this world where women had the same rights as men. In other words, she was the definition of 'not like other girls', or a pick me girl.

I went to bed dreaming of her downfall, which was nice.

The next afternoon I slowly strode towards the garden, taking my time. Tia chattered away, but I ignored her. We turned the corner and the table came into sight, decked with confections and sweets. The princess and the other noble children were all already seated, talking and laughing.